Boxless Subs?

Greetings to all,

I am definitely a n00b to car electronics. I do however have a slightly more than basic understanding of normal electronics and I have a question I was hoping could get answered.

I have a 1994 Toyota Corolla with a new Pioneer Stereo and 4 aftermarket Pioneer speakers. My bass, however, isn't quite as deep as I want it. I don't want something that will knock houses off of their foundation I just want a little more depth to my bass because right now mine starts to get the "blow out" sound when I really crank the volume with the bass up. So my plan was to buy some 8" subs that would normally go with some tweeters and mid-range speakers to make a component system, but seeing as how I have full range speakers I was planning on using them to give my system a bass boost. I was going to get http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3835_Kicker+05C84.html and put them in the pre-existing 6X9 holes (that I would modify to 8X9). At first I was only going to get one and then I thought maybe they would be off balance and not sound right. First question - will the audio sound "unbalanced?" Next I don't want to do the whole box in the trunk thing because I have a lot of stuff in my trunk that I would like to keep in there. Second question - will the audio sound terrible without a box? Third question - Can anyone point out any problems/flaws with this plan and how I could correct them?

It will sound horrible without a box, unless you go IB, and trucks are not good for IB. I would do a 10 as well, maybe a kicker cvt?
Since when is a Toyota Corolla a truck??

OP:

You can do what you have in mind, though don't expect great results without a bit of work on your end. A decent 2 channel amp will be a good start, also you'll probably need to fix up a few things first. At the very least I would buy some type of sound damping, and seal the holes on your rear deck, not the ones you'll mount the speakers to, but the rest of them.

IB or infinite baffle generally means no box, and complete (or almost complete) separation of the front and rear sound waves. Sealing the holes in your rear deck is going to do this for the most part.

If you want something cheap, I'd go with a pair of Peerless SLS 8" speakers, they can be found on madisound.com for 50 bucks each IIRC.

Thanks for all the responses.

It think I'm gonna buy a box for a 10" sub and stick it in the trunk. It seems to be the most cost effective and with the least amount of labor to the actual car. One more question I have a really old 20 watt amp. Would that be enough to drive a set of low end subs or would there be practically no audible sound? I am trying to do this with the least amount of money spent by the way.

Since when is a Toyota Corolla a truck??

OP:

You can do what you have in mind, though don't expect great results without a bit of work on your end. A decent 2 channel amp will be a good start, also you'll probably need to fix up a few things first. At the very least I would buy some type of sound damping, and seal the holes on your rear deck, not the ones you'll mount the speakers to, but the rest of them.

IB or infinite baffle generally means no box, and complete (or almost complete) separation of the front and rear sound waves. Sealing the holes in your rear deck is going to do this for the most part.

If you want something cheap, I'd go with a pair of Peerless SLS 8" speakers, they can be found on madisound.com for 50 bucks each IIRC.
I misread

Thanks for all the responses.
It think I'm gonna buy a box for a 10" sub and stick it in the trunk. It seems to be the most cost effective and with the least amount of labor to the actual car. One more question I have a really old 20 watt amp. Would that be enough to drive a set of low end subs or would there be practically no audible sound? I am trying to do this with the least amount of money spent by the way.

No, get a 10 JL W1 and a JL 250/1

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.