Alpine SPR 17S true or false - review?

TheeyaN
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Serbia
Alpine SPR 17S mids and PDX 2.150 amp HU Pioneer p88rs 5V pre outs

I installed it today,turned the gain on NOMINAL,everything on flat and started incresing the volume..

Its good until i'll say 50-51,and then it loses the sound quality,not too much,but it sounds kind of worse.. No major distorsion,just a slight or maybe i am imagining it i dont know.. It was listenable..

The thing is.. It wasnt loud (only the mids were installed no woofer)

This is my first instalation when i am powering speakers with an amp.. Until now it was only from the HU with HPF 120 and it was ok,i also used dampening,did everything in a pro matter..

Having in mind that the HU's amp has no more than 20rms,and the speakers are- well crap,and having in mind that this amp gives out 150 rms,an amp that Alpine is proud off i was expecting something that would make my face look like this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Insted of that my face was like this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif i mean is that all? I was not impressed,no no..

So i am using this to ask u.. What should i be expecting from this combo of mids and amp? Was i just expecting to much or what? Maybe its becouse there was no sub in (sub amp has a problem with one chanel) but i did expect more..

Also until it gets pretty close to distorsion its so so quiet.. it ***** basicly.. Blah.. Not cool //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

well i can say that my alpine type s speakers use to get pretty darn loud when amped. maybe your settings are worong? i loved mine. just play around with all the settings on the amp and radio till you get what you like.

power is overrated imo. Still you should see at least a 9 +/- db gain from driving the SAME exact set with your amp compared to the hu.

Stock speakers are extremly efficient.... aftermarket aren't most of the time

Maybe you expected too much

well i can say that my alpine type s speakers use to get pretty darn loud when amped. maybe your settings are worong? i loved mine. just play around with all the settings on the amp and radio till you get what you like.
type s coax were as loud on 40watt as my type r coax on 100watt.

efficient is a lot more important when it comes to speakers in doors

have you sealed the back/front wave in the door?

+9 DB.. Thats about 3 times louder..

I dont think i did anything wrong with the install.. First i dampened the door,and i did a really good job at that,after that installed the crossover,set the tweets to -3db,pluged in the speaker wires that would go to the amp,than connected the other wires to speakers and tweets and closed it up..

Checked and rechecked everything.. But still hm.. Was reading some rewievs on net,people saying they made this components blead their ears,using a 100rms-ish amps,and some people used it on the HU and were impressed,but i am nowhere near impressed..

FAIL :/

R types have efficiency of 87,S types have 92 but still..

150 rms,i mean if i take it a bit in the semi distorted zone it does get louder but i am not sure if they are clipping or not.. Dont have a O Scope..

Also i must say that i didnt play this speakers on the HU,only the stock speakers..

So they are brand new.. At least they were ^^

Set your gains with a DMM.

I liked my type R components when I first put them in with 95 RMS each, so I'd just check you're actually putting out the right wattage to them and don't have your gains too low.

At first i did set it by DMM,but it was even lower,i dont like those numbers,its maybe ok for sub's cause u cant really hear them,but for the mids i think the best way to go is setting them by ears.

Anyways tomorrow come i will do some more test. First i am gonna play that music on my brothers car with stock speakers,and without the sub,to make a paralel.

Another problem might be that the music i played was sh!tty! Recorded at low levels,so maybe it will be louder on some other music (cd's)

But i also need to find how does a clear test tone of 1000 hz sound,and how does a clipped tone sound so i can be 100% sure.

Verdict has been brought!

This speakers are pure crap. Loudness is medium and bellow,SQ is medium and bellow..

And i am powering them with an 150rms amp..

FAIL!

its less than nominal,and its set to clip on 52/62 so thats not the problem. The problem is that i expected more

Whats that got to do with anything? ^^

Its gonna sound the same,only diffrence is that the gain knob will be pushed more to the right on the amp.. ^^

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.