weird voltage drop...

BeAlLsTaR13
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
New York
i noticed today, that my voltage seemed VERY low, like between 12.1-13.3.. usualy my voltage is around 14.0-14.2 @ idle after start... my voltage was dropping low even with the volume very low, around 5.. then i turned the HU off, and it shot straight back up to 14.2 volts.. so i turned the HU on, this time with no music on at all, and it dipped back down into the lower 13's.. turned the HU off, shot straight back up to 14.2 volts..

any reason why this is doing it? its ONLY when the HU is on.. with or without music, and with music it gets into the mid to lower 12s... sometimes dipping to 11.8 volts...

well, if anything.. it would be the alt (at least i think it would be)

any way to test to see if anything is wrong with it?

oh and also, i upgraded (well at least thought it was an upgrade) my main power wire run from knu fleks 4g wire to 1/0g wire just 2 days ago if that has an effect on anything

i had the same thing happen to a friend with a headie, turned out there was like a short or somthing that must have been discharging some power. try putting the stock or another one in quick

pull the h/uhook up a different one if you can to see if it does it to.
Ehh, I hate to disagree but I think that would be the last thing to do, if at all. Check your wire for shorts. If you just redid the wire you may have a loose connection somewhere or a bad fuse connection.

If it's only with the hu turned on, not the air or any other accessory, it's not the battery or alternator. The air may drop it a little, but not to the levels you're getting. I would pull the hu and check the wiring connections. You may have had something come loose. Even if you don't see anything loose, redo all the connections. That should only take about 15 minutes. If that doesn't fix it, check the new power wire you ran. It sounds like a wiring problem withthe hu though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.