Amplifier Strapping

Participant count
  • Participant list

dB-SPL
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
A question that's popping up more and more..

Effectively, "strapping" does electrically the same thing as "bridging" does inside a stereo amplifier. It references the negative voltage rails of the two different amplifiers, and then inverts one of the positive input signals, allowing the load (the speaker) to be connected across the positive voltage rails. This also eliminates the need to match multiple gains, filters and crossovers. Simply set the 'Master' amplifier to your preference and the 'Slave' amplifier will produce the exact same signal and power. Also keep in mind that strapping doubles your power at twice the impediance load.

Example: Two amplifiers each capable of 2000 watts @ 1 Ohm will do 4000 watts @ 2 Ohms strapped, essentially making them one mono amplifier.

Not every amplifier has onboard strapping capabilities but can still be strapped with linking devices such as Maxxsonics Maxxlink MLX-100. Here's an informative video on how to use this nifty little device.

Here's a basic diagram I made that shows how to tackle the wiring for onboard linkable amplifiers. Be sure to set any switches to the correct "Master/Slave" position.

AMPSTRAPPING.jpg

Hope this helps those who are confused about amplifier strapping.

-Bill-

I've always done it like this. A friend of mine tryed to strap his amps and had nothing but problems, so he went with a maxx-link.

I tryed it with a maxx-link as well and was a bit better but not much noticable. I had a pair of Sundown 3000D's strapped down to 0.25ohm per amp on 1 Sundown Nightshade 18 and it was hell on wheels, lol..

Thanks for the refresher though . //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You are a filthy canadian, I won't listen to you.

I kid, I kid. I'm about to strap my amps for the first time today. Thnx for the post. I can copy it now and have something besides my bad memory to go off of.

I'm a Canandaiguian! Not Canadian. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
But it's spelled close and is close. So guilty by association haha.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.