why dont subwoofers....

why dont subwoofers more commonly have bumped top/bottom plates? (Like the new BTL's large bottom plate, and the old BTL's tall top plate?) Could these two be combined?

wouldnt more travel of the voicecoil lead to more x-max?

I'm guessing it has something to do with how bass is reproduced in comparison to the linearity of the stroke?

I just figured if a motor had these two things integrated it could have some serious x-max and possibly low-end monsters?. Any comments or info would be appreciated.

Code:
http://blog.sounddomain.com/photos/fi/dsc02882.jpg
+

Code:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/jonny101abc/Picture010.jpg
= ear sex ?
Xmax is dependent upon the geometry of the coil and the gap and control of the magnetic flux within the gap. In an overhung motor a taller topplate requires a longer coil to maintain the same amount of Xmax. Taller is not necessarily better as far as the coil is concerned as there are trade-offs here (higher inductance, more mass, etc).

Having a bumped backplate/etc may give the coil more travel before damage occurs (Xmech), but it won't change the amount of linear stroke the driver is capable of. Now, that said, the design of the backplate will affect how the flux "flows" through the motor.....but that doesn't mean that thick bumped is necessarily better than another design for a particular motor.

The bottom pictures looks more like the older XXX than it does the previous BTL (going from memory). In which case, the top plate is so thick on the XXX because it's an XBL^2 motor.....which means the coil is shorter than top plate.

This isn't a highly detailed post, but it should give you the jist of things. It really comes down to the goals of the design and the best way to acheive those goals. Everything is a trade off, and you just have the select the most appropriate set of trade offs for your design goals and target price.

Just to hammer home the point:

Steel = teh spensive. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Many subs use thicker magnet stacks to allow for x-mech -- stacking the third slug on most motors doesn't add alot of motor force but is cheaper than adding that much more back plate.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.