Infinit Qx4 Factory Integration Issues

Participant count
  • Participant list

DNick454
10+ year member

Honda + Subs = Rattles :(
Ok, so today I did an install for a friend. He's new to car audio and wanted to keep the system cheap so we picked him up two 15" Kicker Comps and I built him a box for it today and wired everything up. Here's where it becomes interesting. It's a 1000W Kenwood amp (500 RMS @ 2ohms) powering the comps wired in parallel @ 2 ohms. Because he wanted to keep the price on the low, he opted for keeping the stock head unit and using a High-Low Input signal converter (speaker to RCA). Well, I spliced in the input signal converter in the back after the factory amplifier and then ran the RCA's to the Kenwood sub amp and then set all gains accordingly. Now, for two 15" cheapy comps, it slams really hard, but only in the mid-upper bass notes. I don't mean high notes, but I mean it won't get really low. It's not the box, because its tuned to 33Hz...my box is tuned to 35 and it gets lower and louder on those lows with my little 10" comps. Basically, it's like there's subsonic filter or something killing the lows being put out because the subs are barely moving when you get below 30Hz or so, and the subsonic filter is OFF by the way.

My first instinct is that maybe the factory Bose system's amp has a higher set subsonic filter to protect the door speakers and since the amp is being fed a signal post-amplification, the sub amp isn't even receiving those low notes. Any way to fix this? The system came out great other than lacking low-end bass. It's a 98 Infiniti QX4 by the way. I know you have a QX4 WOT, so any comments would be appreciated.

Also, oddly enough, I might be getting rid of my car, and the car I will almost surely end up with will be a QX4, a 1999 though, so I'd like to know this for my sake aswell //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

is the hi/lo tapped into a low pass signal?(factory speaker dedicated for sub duty) my Acura is same issue, the lows are there,just weak as hell poss. due to the real low voltage the amp is geeting.adding a clean sweep nwxt week

It's not a low pass, I think the amp actually has a high pass, so that the door speakers aren't being fed the really low bass, and that cut-off signal is being sent to the sub amp...

I have a 99 QX4.... i spliced the RCA after the Bose amp in the drivers side quarterpanel as u mentioned and ya it didnt get very low

those 97-00 bose sytems arent the greatest...

get your input before the factory amplifier....it will be low-level however it is a full range signal. Bose nissan/infinti bose amplifier outputs are generally crossed over in the amplifier.

go before the factory amp, you shouldnt even need the LOC its low level outputs from the radio if i recall meaning just splice in some rca ends

get your input before the factory amplifier....it will be low-level however it is a full range signal. Bose nissan/infinti bose amplifier outputs are generally crossed over in the amplifier.

In the 97-00 QX4's, the crossovers are in the doors AFTER the amp.

Heres my 99 QX4 door taken apart, ignore the JBL speaker (thats definitely not bose) but look at the Bose crossover next to it.

P8290339.jpg

I can't say anything for 01-04 (WOT?) because ive never taken those years apart.

thats the bose amp. as i have said there is a clean low level unmolested signal just tap behind the radio or before the amp no need for LOC, just splice rca ends in

thats the bose amp. as i have said there is a clean low level unmolested signal just tap behind the radio or before the amp no need for LOC, just splice rca ends in
I don't know which wire those are... the wiring list I found told me the colors to splice for right rear and left rear. It didn't say which colors were pre-amp signal. Any ideas?

Left Rear - Input 5 BURight Rear - Input 7 VT

Left Rear + Input 18 PK

Right Rear + Input 20 L.GN

Sorry, I completely missed your post...

So that is the pre-amp signal from the head unit before it goes to the bose amp correct?

Never spliced RCA plugs before, know of any guides or step-by-steps I could use? I'm pretty good with wiring and soldering, just not sure about the whole shielded thing with RCA's, not sure how those wire up 100%.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.