1972 Honda Z600 with 34-Inch Subwoofer

tomtomjr
10+ year member

Car Audio Carnisour
I have a 1972 Honda Z600 car that I built to put a 34inch / 211-lb subwoofer into. No, it is not for SQ. No, it is not for SPL. It is just a project I wanted to do for a long time. I started on it summer of 2008. Have had the sub for 2 years, and looked everywhere for a small car to put it into. Finally, I found the car.

First I started with the car. Lots of bodywork. Had to have the rear quarters made out of metal. Figured the bondo would fall out. Had a racing stripe painted down the top. (like it will really go fast) . It has a 600cc engine. Still have to work on the alternator design. This motor has a stator. Will be disabling it, going with an electric fan, and putting an alternator in it.

Next we have the amp power. I am going old-school amps in this. My first choice is about a dozen Zapco 151A amps for mids and highs, and a very-large Linear Power amp for the sub. (blue color amp in pics) . I tried a US Amps VLX-400, but it is very hard to fit into it. (45-inches long) . The 6/3 channel Linear Power amp is 42 inches long and I can barely fit it into the car. Still weighing options on using it or not. 3 possible ways to fit it in the car. Might go with something else.

The sub is an Audiobahn AWT34X. (measures 36-inches, 211-lbs) ...I built a baffleboard and it took 3 of us to fit it into the car. (about an hour, and we were worn out afterwards) . Tried it in the baffle and it plays 5hz to 30hz fine. After that, it fizzles out. So I think that I am going to try to enclose it.

I haven't touched it in about 5 weeks or so, but will get back on it soon. It is a fun project, and it is not a daily driver. So I can take my time, play with it, and no rush. Just want it to be and old-school theme with a giant subwoofer...

Here are some pics of the unfinished build.

This is when I first got the car. Faded Orange.

0617081657a.jpg

0525082005.jpg

Bodywork done, getting paint...

0825081142.jpg

0827081333.jpg

Now that the sub is in, I hooked up 2 Harrison Labs 800 amps to it. I tried it out at different frequencies. 5hz to 30hz sounds great. After that, it will move, but will take a lot of power to move it properly. So, I am going to enclose it and try to get the frequency to go higher. Airspace is going to be hard to get, and a very difficult box to build. That is where I am at on it now. LIMBO... Will get back to it soon.

I have been playing it without the car running using a big battery charger and one battery. (poor battery) The engine is about to jump out of the car at 15hz. Funny... Will get a video of that soon...

Here is a quick video of the sub at 5hz to 15hz. Sounds like an air-compressor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NegkDNEnkrA

hey, if your interested in a helping hand be sure to hit me up. would be interested in check'n that thing out. you should come out and check out our comp we are having in arlington saturday night.

Bass

Awesome project! Id love a fun old car like that
Maybe its that Ive never heard 10hz before I doubt, but that doesnt sound right to me
You don't really "hear" it. More like... you feel the air, watch things move, and hear the things in and around the car that are moving. No sound except from the things moving in the garage, windshield wipers flapping, baffle flexing, ect... No sound. More of a "see and feel". That is why I am going with the enclosure. Fun like it is, but could me much more if you could at least hear it...

Glad I didn't finish it before playing it...Strangest result I have ever got out of an install for sure.

And no, the brown note didn't happen. Did get a nosebleed though...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

suscribed... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/popcorn.gif.32dd9e22fd77e77bc3c907062768fcd2.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I saw this setup on youtube a couple a months ago and was wondering when it would be on here. Very cool concept you got going there but a few questions first.

1.How big of an enclosure is it going to be in after all's said and done?

2. Where are you going to fit the batteries for all that juice?

3. How many watts does that Power Linear actually put out?

4. Where on earth are you going to find an HO alternator for a 600cc motor?

Not bashing in any way just don't want this to go down as an epic fail.

Drew

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.