Alpine Amp stopped working :(

Participant count
  • Participant list

gangstajpimpin
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
My Alpine amp stopped working while i was driving. System was on full tilt, like usual, but it just decided to stop working //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

1) All fuses are perfect.

2) The input voltage at the amplifier was measured at 12.4v with car off

3) RCA cables are good.

4) Amplifier grounds are good. (Other amp's ground is hooked up to same spot, so its good (sanded down to metal and bolted down really good on chassis))

5) Output voltage to subwoofer is 0v //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Gains were also set properly, and my IDQ was receiving 400w.

What could be the problem?

If it is fried...what components would i need to check inside the amplifier? Here is a picture:

DSC00490.jpg

Thank you for helping, if it is an ir-replacable component inside of the amplifier I would like to know of a better amp suited to push my IDQv3D4 @ ~400 watts and not poop out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I don't see anything in that image that shows damage. Does the amp still power on? LEDs light up still? If not, did you try to jump the REM to the POS+ wire and see if you can "jump start it"?

2) The input voltage at the amplifier was measured at 12.4v with car off

:p

So, The light on the alpine amplifier was lit up a blue color (normal)

It just isn't putting any power out to the subwoofer

I already have swapped my component amp RCA's for the sub RCA's and the component speakers till worked whereas the subwoofer amp didn't //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

As far as trouble shooting the amp, I would check the transistors (3 prong blocks around the edges of the amp). Transistors are usually the first thing to fry and are not always noticable.

Take a meter and check the resistance between legs 1-2, 2-3, and 1-3. Basically it doesn't matter what the reading is, it just matters that all the readings are similar (or similar in groups). Usually you can tell the bad transistor it will be shorted out or have a strange resistance reading.

Best way to trouble shoot a nonworking amp is with a signal generator and an oscilloscope, but not many people have access to those.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.