yo0123yo

Why my highs sound distorted?

when i turn my music up pretty high i am hearing distortion coming from only my tweeters they are the kicker ones..ive had my system for over a year with no problems and this is the only problem the music jus sounds ridiculously distorted im running the 350.4 to them and its powering 4 other pioneer 6.5's. what would cause the highs to be distorting after about a year?

tweeters go poof

Sold To: L22rules; jeffrey1970; PABowhunter4life; allout13; atsaubrey; horsemanwill

Bought From: brentbarrie; wgsj_fortvalley; horsemanwill; jaredspl; atsaubrey

Reference Thread - http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365202

Engine Whine Free Since 11.26.08[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Team Mafia "Killing the competition with silence"

**** so u think they are blown? cuz its weird they both sound ****ed up but only when they are loud they dont sound distorted when they are low.

nope all the amp settings have remained the same for like a year. could it be anything with the tweeter overs? cuz on songs with not that high of frequencies it wont distort but then on other songs with high frequency they will distort

sounds like they need a higher xover point

:confused:

Are they metal domes? I've seen a few metal dome tweets crack over time, after that they really start to sound very harsh.

- Alpine CDA-9887 - AudioControl DQS - Linear Power 652I - B&G Neo3 - Clarion DPX 2251 - Vifa XT18 - Clarion DPX 1851 - Alpine SWX-1243D -

sounds like they need a higher xover point

k and where should i change the xover from? the amp or the HU? i got the ks13 kicker tweeters

Where are you speaker crossovers at...........assuming you are still passive.

Refs~Max Power(ST), bnevets27(ST), 99oldsintrigue(ST), matrxx dude(BF), Ficaraudio(BF), Zachzchw(BF), tigerf117(ST), 5.7TBI(BF), DBfan187(ST), Joesph M(ST), 97gp(ST), Cornbreadxd(ST), SlappinX(ST), nycspudz03(ST), bl0ckd(BF), Sctattooer(ST), hitman34608(ST), Wackdogg(ST), ggk(ST), 03F150MrSBF(STx2), Dye4metal(ST), Mikey7182(BF), Wu501(BF), Twisted_0912(BF), Crunklech(BF), psychoacoustics(BF), Tyler Chavez(ST), GTO Dave(ST), Thisistiny(ST), DarkScorpin(BF), davidtemple(BF), BassaddictJ(BF), Geoff_off_me(BF), Dragnix(BF)

BF=Bought from

ST=Sold too

Where are you speaker crossovers at...........assuming you are still passive.

k how do i check where the speaker crossovers are at? is this on the amp or on the x-overs that came with the tweets i did not do my own setup i had a shop do it for me

Double check for pinch points there may be some insulation over the months that has rubbed off and may arc to chasiss another lead of the speaker wire, thus at loud volumes with more voltage running in the wire the arc can reach farther. :crap:

Team Shaking Horizons

05 Honda Civic Coupe (2) HDC3A15's, (2) Incriminator 40.1's strapped@ 1 ohm, Memphis 75.4, All memphis components, KnuKoncepts wire, (1) Kinetic 1400, and (3) Kinetic 2400s, 200A EA alt,

Scores on TL= 150.7 legal @ 40hz, 152.8 outlaw in kick @ 41hz.

k ill check the tweeter wiring

Correct me if i'm wrong but It could be any of the speaker wires even a mid if it is pinched, it could send back a strange signal to the amp causing it to distort the highs.

Team Shaking Horizons

05 Honda Civic Coupe (2) HDC3A15's, (2) Incriminator 40.1's strapped@ 1 ohm, Memphis 75.4, All memphis components, KnuKoncepts wire, (1) Kinetic 1400, and (3) Kinetic 2400s, 200A EA alt,

well i just found somethikn out... i took my door apart and found that when i move the neg and pos wires around that connect to the tweeter it cuts in and out so im pretty sure its not blown since its cutting in and out when i move the wires around

Double check for pinch points there may be some insulation over the months that has rubbed off and may arc to chasiss another lead of the speaker wire, thus at loud volumes with more voltage running in the wire the arc can reach farther. :crap:

Ummm, how would it only short out at loud volumes? If there is this pinch, and the wire is touching the chassis there would be a dead short and it wouldn't work, period, and you'd probably have melted speaker wire somewhere.

- Alpine CDA-9887 - AudioControl DQS - Linear Power 652I - B&G Neo3 - Clarion DPX 2251 - Vifa XT18 - Clarion DPX 1851 - Alpine SWX-1243D -

Maybe its your ears?

Sometime when the tweets are extremely harsh (LOUD) it sounds distorted because it ****s your ears up.

Could need replaced though.

REFS:

Squeak9798, Kumbos310w6, BigBangTheory, Jmanpc, MillzThaYungin, WLDock, -Leister-, ThomasG, J31Rob (and a few more I have forgotten)

sorry man but ford will always be a ford. ford is the sony xplod of cars and trucks. you had bad experiences with chevy because your a ford guy. its what seperates the men from the boys. friend billy use to drive a ford. he drives a chevy now. they call him billy no more. hes known as bill now..

Ummm, how would it only short out at loud volumes? If there is this pinch, and the wire is touching the chassis there would be a dead short and it wouldn't work, period, and you'd probably have melted speaker wire somewhere.

The wire may not be touching the chassis, but only a thousandth of an inch away. When the volume is up and enough voltage is going through that wire, it may be able to arc from the wire to the frame. Think of it like a spark plug, only a much shorter jump and a much much lower voltage. I believe that is what he was saying.

Since you say moving a wire causes the tweeter to cut in and out, i would imagine you have found the source or at least part of your issue. tighten up all your connections and see if that fixes the issue.

sig6it.jpg

The wire may not be touching the chassis, but only a thousandth of an inch away. When the volume is up and enough voltage is going through that wire, it may be able to arc from the wire to the frame. Think of it like a spark plug, only a much shorter jump and a much much lower voltage. I believe that is what he was saying.

Since you say moving a wire causes the tweeter to cut in and out, i would imagine you have found the source or at least part of your issue. tighten up all your connections and see if that fixes the issue.

And also highly unlikely. Do you understand that type of voltage a spark plug operates at for it to arc like it does? anywhere from 40k-100k volts, very far beyond what you will ever see in car audio.

It's not going to arc, at all. If there is a pinch, it's either a dead short or an open circuit, both would be present at all times, not just when the volume is up.

And also highly unlikely. Do you understand that type of voltage a spark plug operates at for it to arc like it does? anywhere from 40k-100k volts, very far beyond what you will ever see in car audio.

It's not going to arc, at all. If there is a pinch, it's either a dead short or an open circuit, both would be present at all times, not just when the volume is up.

FAIL.

Yes it can arc. Higher the voltage, farther an arc can travel. Higher your volume higher the voltage. And it does not mean "dead short", usually your wire wont weld to the chassis, it will just arc over a tiny area of air and find its path to least resistance back to the source (negative on the amp/battery)

Team Shaking Horizons

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now