Jbl gto vs. us amps md42 vs. old school ppi pcx480 vs. other good 4 channel amps...

Bigpete757
10+ year member

fl
I need a good 4 channel amp for my mids and highs around 4 x 75 rms. I looked at the jbl gto series first because of the price and good specs on the website but found conflicting specs on other sites like ampguts, showing the db level at 80dBA (1 Watt, 4 ohms) when on the jbl site it says over 100, also the dampening factor is a little over six on the ampguts site, along with a higher thd than the jbl site. I have seen the 80dba rating and 100db rating on a variety of websites so am confused on this issue. If anyone knows what this means, please fill me in. Then I saw a deal on a md42. Looked at the specs, seemed good and efficient, but someone mentioned on the site that they had to recall some of the amps and I have been unable to find a convincing number of reviews that would lead to purchase this amp. Lastly, I came across and old school ppi, which I have read are pretty darn good. Great specs, but am a little worried about it's efficiency because it is a little outdated. If you had to choose between these three, what would you go with? Or could you mention something I should look for. I am trying to keep it below $250 (new or used). My mids and highs are jl audio and was also thinking of getting the 300/4, but have read mixed reviews on that amp. Someone please enlighten me, lol.

why'd you have to do that for? I was gonna snag one of those up, don't let them know
Sorry about that. I scored a PX300.4 for ~$90 over the weekend. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Unfortunately there is no JBL BPX 1100.1 and probably because I was looking for one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Just scooped up one of those PX300.4 for around $120.
Congrats! Mine was shipped yesterday - 14.5lbs. As I won't be installing it for a while, please let us know how you like it.

Just scooped up one of those PX300.4 for around $120.

jbl002.jpg

Here's a pic for you - the just arrived JBL PX300.4. This amplifier is gorgeous; pics don't do it justice. Its heatsink runs all along the bottom of the amp. It's finished in a matte, slightly textured powdercoat that feels expensive. The acrylic top with exposed guts is very nicely done and only adds to the upscale appearance, as does the (real) aluminum trim. I'm a little disappointed to see board-mounted RCAs, unlike other quality amps with chassis-mounted connectors, but so far it's my only gripe.

I'm also wondering how do those compare to Alpine PDX 4.150 or to DLS Ultimate A4. I currently run PDX 4.150 and have an option of getting A4 for fairly cheap price.. not sure if it would be big of an upgrade or if I should save the money to upgrade my deck from Alpine 9887 to DRZ9255... hmmm decisions.

jbl002.jpg

Here's a pic for you - the just arrived JBL PX300.4. This amplifier is gorgeous; pics don't do it justice. Its heatsink runs all along the bottom of the amp. It's finished in a matte, slightly textured powdercoat that feels expensive. The acrylic top with exposed guts is very nicely done and only adds to the upscale appearance, as does the (real) aluminum trim. I'm a little disappointed to see board-mounted RCAs, unlike other quality amps with chassis-mounted connectors, but so far it's my only gripe.
Its a beauty, I cant wait to get mine. Hopefully by tuesday of next week. I have 80wrms on a set of 6.5" PG RSD's, cant wait to see what 125wrms does to them. Hey is that a Xenon next to that JBL? I dont like that RCA deal either, I ten to remove ad replace my RCA's often, I hope it doesnt get weak and fail.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.