Alpine 9887 settings with passive xovers & sub

linksyz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys... I installed my system today and I didn't like the way it sounds at all //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I am kind of a newb to car audio :\

I have Focal 165 K2Ps in kick panels (midbass and tweeter next to each other) running passive off of bridged Alpine PDX 4.150 (200x2wrms) and DLS Iridium 10" sub in the back running off of Alpine PDX 1.600.

I didn't change the setting from the guy that I bought the HU from and I believe that it's currently set to 2.2ch (3WAY) and not 4.2ch (F/R/Sub) as there is no option for Fader.

Is my system supposed to be 4.2ch (F/R/Sub)? Also, should I use Parametric or Graphic EQ? What settings should I use in either Parametric or Graphic EQ (slopes, etc)? And what are the crossover points I should use running passive? Just HPF for comps at 80hz? Any help would be appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

By the way... if anyone needs any help from the manual that doesn't really help me.. here are the links:

Alpine CDA- 9887: http://www.manualnguide.com/manual-get/13350/

Alpine PDX 4.150: http://www.manualnguide.com/manual-get/3295/

Hey guys... I installed my system today and I didn't like the way it sounds at all //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I am kind of a newb to car audio :\
I have Focal 165 K2Ps in kick panels (midbass and tweeter next to each other) running passive off of bridged Alpine PDX 4.150 (200x2wrms) and DLS Iridium 10" sub in the back running off of Alpine PDX 1.600.

I didn't change the setting from the guy that I bought the HU from and I believe that it's currently set to 2.2ch (3WAY) and not 4.2ch (F/R/Sub) as there is no option for Fader.

Is my system supposed to be 4.2ch (F/R/Sub)? Also, should I use Parametric or Graphic EQ? What settings should I use in either Parametric or Graphic EQ (slopes, etc)? And what are the crossover points I should use running passive? Just HPF for comps at 80hz? Any help would be appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

By the way... if anyone needs any help from the manual that doesn't really help me.. here are the links:

Alpine CDA- 9887: http://www.manualnguide.com/manual-get/13350/

Alpine PDX 4.150: http://www.manualnguide.com/manual-get/3295/
Yes for passive you run it in F/R/Sub mode. Just use the front set of rca's off the HU. Leave the rear disconnected and capped (so they dont touch anything).

Leave the front amp set to full-range, turn off any filters on the sub amp too. Let the HU do all the processing.

Im not real sure how Alpine HU EQ's work, but good starting points are 80hz 12db HP to the front and 60-80hz LP for the sub.

If the HU still has old settings in it I would try to do a reset if you can.

What exactly dont you like about the setup?

Thanks Mike! Will it be a problem if I have the rear RCAs plugged in? It would be PITA to unbolt the amp rack and unplug/tape off RCAs.

Well the sub sounds real nice but front stage doesn't sound good at all... I'll have to change it to F/R/Sub-W first as it's currently in a 3-way setup. Once I change that and put the HP on fronts and LP on sub... I'll let you know how it is. I should do that on lunch time in an hour or so. I can stop by Mandarin sometimes this week so you check it out if you want to.

Thanks Mike! Will it be a problem if I have the rear RCAs plugged in? It would be PITA to unbolt the amp rack and unplug/tape off RCAs.
Well the sub sounds real nice but front stage doesn't sound good at all... I'll have to change it to F/R/Sub-W first as it's currently in a 3-way setup. Once I change that and put the HP on fronts and LP on sub... I'll let you know how it is. I should do that on lunch time in an hour or so. I can stop by Mandarin sometimes this week so you check it out if you want to.
What are the rear RCA's plugged in to?

And yeah you really need to change in to F/R/Sub when running passive.

By the way in F/R/Sub-W and L=R setting in 9887 there are these crossover setting items:

LOW (SUB-W) / MID (REAR) / HIGH (FRONT).

So I need to set LOW to 63hz and MID to 80hz?

Will those be LPF and HPF?

What are the rear RCA's plugged in to?
And yeah you really need to change in to F/R/Sub when running passive.
This is how I have the head unit and amp set up:

1+2/3+4 switch

Channels 1 and 3: positive wires

channels 2 and 4: negative wires

Head Unit Color

Left Rear Blue

Left Front White

Right Rear Black

Right Front Red

Amp Color

Channel 1 Blue

Channel 2 White

Channel 3 Black

Channel 4 Red

Right RED

Left WHITE

Channel 1 and 2 White

Channel 3 and 4 Red

By the way in F/R/Sub-W and L=R setting in 9887 there are these crossover setting items:
LOW (SUB-W) / MID (REAR) / HIGH (FRONT).

So I need to set LOW to 63hz and MID to 80hz?

Will those be LPF and HPF?
It shouldnt be that way. Low, Mid, High is for running active ONLY. You need to be sure the HU is in F/R/Sub mode first.

Is the head unit still in the 3 way set up? If you want to change that, there's a switch on the bottom of the head unit to change it. There should also be a switch to change the Ai-net to EQ mode as well for an external EQ.

Is the head unit still in the 3 way set up? If you want to change that, there's a switch on the bottom of the head unit to change it. There should also be a switch to change the Ai-net to EQ mode as well for an external EQ.
x2 on this, flip the little switch on the bottom to get it setup for a passive system. It sounds like you simply went from L≠R to L=R Once the switch on the bottom is flipped you should be able to start tuning.

Okay so I changed it to F/R/Sub and I set:

LOW: 80hz FLAT

MID: 80HZ 12dB

and it sounds much nicer! Do I have to change any other settings while running passive?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.