Btl T-line

18" BTL T line? Sounds deadly. Would like to hear this too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Yeah, it was for 2 15" RE Destroyers then for some SS XXX 15's. I had a folded horn for 2 12" BTL's in my truck.. All I can say is it what was just rediculous. To bad I cant fit 15's or 18's for that matter in one

No, and for the last god **** time that box was NOT a "folded horn". A real folded horn would perform horribly in a B-pillar wall.
Pete's horns are really just expanding transmission lines but you could easily argue that they display properties of each, even if neither are "classical" models.

A BTL should work out very well in either a horn or transmission line.

Pete's horns are really just expanding transmission lines but you could easily argue that they display properties of each, even if neither are "classical" models.
A BTL should work out very well in either a horn or transmission line.
The expansion is so small though, you can't really call them any kind of horn.

Those boxes use design theories and properties from a couple different types of boxes, but truthfully aren't much more than a ported box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I say this with having extensive experience with the "rear loaded horn, folded horn, SS, DS, transfoldedporthorn" or whatever other funky name people come up with for them.

The expansion is so small though, you can't really call them any kind of horn.
Those boxes use design theories and properties from a couple different types of boxes, but truthfully aren't much more than a ported box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Those enclosures offer more 1/4 wave properties than helmholtz properties; they're much less like bass reflex than they are 1/4 wave resonators.

You're also wrong about the expansion rate. Just because the expansion is small does not mean it will not have horn properties. What you're probably thinking about is an exponential horn that has a mouth cross sectional area large enough to support the full wave length of the low frequency cutoff. While exponential horns are the archetype of horns, that doesn't mean that anything not exactly like it will not have similar properties. Hyperbolic flares, linear flares, and conical flares are all methods of approach for getting horn properties and there is nothing wrong with them. They all have drawbacks to their design but they're still representations of horn designs.

This is what my box looked like for 4 BTL 18's.. Very musical.

blow-throughdesign2.jpg

Those enclosures offer more 1/4 wave properties than helmholtz properties; they're much less like bass reflex than they are 1/4 wave resonators.
You're also wrong about the expansion rate. Just because the expansion is small does not mean it will not have horn properties. What you're probably thinking about is an exponential horn that has a mouth cross sectional area large enough to support the full wave length of the low frequency cutoff. While exponential horns are the archetype of horns, that doesn't mean that anything not exactly like it will not have similar properties. Hyperbolic flares, linear flares, and conical flares are all methods of approach for getting horn properties and there is nothing wrong with them. They all have drawbacks to their design but they're still representations of horn designs.
You took what I said about the expansion rate and twisted it some. I didn't say it doesn't have horn properties I said you can not call them a horn just because there is some properties aka an expansion rate. Even then, an expansion of 2-3" still isn't that much. Please do not insult my intelligence and try to tell me what I'm thinking of. The only reference I made to a exponential horn was post #7 in saying it wouldn't do all that great in a walled vehicle.

Keep in mind with some of the different "versions" of these enclosures are not just pure expansion, it's expansion and compression. But from what I've seen from pete he tends to lean more toward just expansion. I'm not 100% sure about his wall though, as tuan designed it and not pete.

Yes I'll admit leans towards 1/4 wave properties more, but you can't really call them a transmission line. The simplest way to describe the box is hybrid.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.