Alpine HU turning off

Participant count
  • Participant list

acarlton

VA
Hey, new guy here. I am traveling for work and 2.5 hours into a 4 hour drive my HU stopped working. It turns itself off and then tries to turn back on, but then immediately turns off. If I take the faceplate off for a while and then put it back on, the HU will work for a few minutes and then go into the same problem. Is this a common occurrence?

The HU is a lower end Alpine the is probably 6 years old and it is installed in a '99 Acura 2.3 CL. I have factory speakers in the front, and aftermarket in the back. I also have 1 12" in the trunk. I also have an Aux in for my ipod

I'm driving home today and will prob just listen to my ipod through headphones. I can get a new HU this weekend and install it if i need to, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Thanks a lot and sorry if this has been talked about before, I just didn't know what to search for.

make sure the wire harness is clipped in solid on back of hu.could be a loose power or ground wire as well.if thats all good, try resetting the deck.if all that dont work,maybe time for upgrade

as got bass said check the plug in the back and make sure it's firmly in place. either that or make sure that all the connections are done properly and not coming undone. could be possible of a loose connection.

though, the overheating theory does sound plausable.

when you say the unit turns off does it reset itself? as in does the time and any adjusments reset itself to the stock settings?

I don't think it is resetting, b/c I think it still has my radio presets. It has always been hot, but one argument against the overheating is the problem happened last night, after about 10 minutes and the car has been in the cold all week, and the HU didn't feel hot. I may disassemble the dash before my drive home to see if there is an issue with the plug.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.