Cutting perfect circles

Blazin Civic
10+ year member

I got more bass than you
Earth
Ok I got a jig saw and I hate using that. So I bought this 3 in 1 cuttin tool from sears and it has a compass on it to do perfect circles. Problem is it breaks bits before I can ever finish a circle. Any ideas on a tool to cut circles with? Links would help.

Go slowly to avoid breaking bits ... some are cheap and are destined to break anyway.

A router works well for cutting circles. Fun to use //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

- Steve

I just got this new tool. RotoZip, spiral cutter or something, but it's got this attachment that does circles from 4inch to 14inch. Perfect for making any type of speaker box. Plus it's made for doing crazy difficult cuts. Best money I have spent in a while.

I just got this new tool. RotoZip, spiral cutter or something, but it's got this attachment that does circles from 4inch to 14inch. Perfect for making any type of speaker box. Plus it's made for doing crazy difficult cuts. Best money I have spent in a while.
Only thing I hate about spiral saws is the blades are hella expensive and you can go through quite a few of them if you don't take your time. A ¼" router with a homemade compass jig will cut perfect circles and the blades don't wear out as quickly.

I dunno what you were doing, but they are made to cut circles and odd shapes. I have used the same blade for about 5-10 different projects and not one broken bit....

paikiah...what do you use?

I dunno what you were doing, but they are made to cut circles and odd shapes. I have used the same blade for about 5-10 different projects and not one broken bit....
paikiah...what do you use?
Well, I used this:

5134hole_cutter-med.jpg

No, not the cap, the metal contraption behind the cap. Last I checked, it's not available in Northern America. It's quite a handy tool, it'll cut holes large enough for 18" with ease.

Blade breaks? No problem, a replacement is but $3~$5, although these can pierce aluminium too, so if you break it whilst cutting MDF, you should really not be touching power tools anymore. I've so far cut over 20 holes with the same blades, didn't even -resharpen the blades yet. You box building guys should REALLY have this, it's easier than to rig up a router, all you need is a drill.

I've tried cutting 0.75" MDF with a cordless drill on it (gotte upgrade the chuck to a larger one) and it worked, although there was quite a lot of strain on it.

Man, I love my hole cutter;)

paikiah I've seen one of those before. I think we might have one but I'm not sure. I've heard about the rotozip too and it seems to be better than other tools for hole cutting. I think when I build my next box, I'm going to router out some, but not all, so the sub fits in flush with the wood. Now that's an install. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

- pe@ce

Just for fact 1" MDF will get you really sick if you try to cut it. Thats why they only sell it at specialty lumber yards. Your best bet is to get either 2 -1/2" and glue/screw them together after cutting holes or get 2 3/4" MDF and do the same. Always make sure to wear eye protection as well, the particles that come from MDF when cut are about the smallest dust you can find it will penetrate most fabrics with no problem. Also make sure to have a good respirator.

A router (table). One of the best tools in a woodshop. If you have a round template to use, then using a router is the easiest way to go, period.

~JB

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.