*over current* light on Sony Xplod amp

soopaflye

DC
Anybody knows what the Over Current light means on a Sony Xplod amp? Is it something wrong the the hook up or is dead? Please spare me with all the audio jargons for I have limited if not zero knowledge about car audio stuff. Thank you for any inputs.

Either the amp is broken or the speakers (or wires) going to it are shorted. You may have to learn a bit of jargon if you want to troubleshoot it yourself.

THE AMP IS A 760W XM 2150GSX THE SPEAKERS ARE 2 12" KENWOOD SUBS 700W 175W RMS WE DONT HAVE A CROSSOVER. i DON'T KNOW EXACTLY HOW THEY ARE WIRED TO THE AMP NOR DO I KNOW ABOUT THE GAINS WE DON'T HAVE A BASS BOOST I DON'T GUESSBUT IF YOU THINK YOU CAN HELP I CAN FIND THIS STUFF OUT FOR YOU.

ive had this same problem with my sony amp (xm1502sx). it happens when the amp is drawing more current than it should be. there should be a gain control or bass boost etc on the amp. i have this problem regularly(in fact, itll go into over current before the fuse blows). turn the gain or boost down and you should be ok...

The only things that should be causing this are shorts or similarily to low of ohmage hook up. So check your wiring, and see what ohms you can hook this amp up too, and see how your subs are wired and if the match up you should be fine. But I am betting it is a short, even if a wire is just touching the outside of the amp where it is not intinded to will caus a short.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.