What breaks most commonly on subs?

Shadow7874
10+ year member

Atl
I always hear about people "blowing" their subs and i have ruined a couple of mine so i was just wondering what exactly goes bad normally? On of my subs cone doesnt even travel at all and the other produced a buzz and no bass when its played. Just curious what could have went wrong.

Also if i have a dvc sub how can i check to make sure both voice coils are working?

If you subs are elemental designs i bet you had a glue failure, they ****.
first one i ruined was a polk 12", second was some very old 12"kicker

now a have a dvc 12" l7 kicker that works as far as i know, im not driving it as hard as i tried the others but im not really sure how to properly tune it.

first one i ruined was a polk 12", second was some very old 12"kicker
now a have a dvc 12" l7 kicker that works as far as i know, im not driving it as hard as i tried the others but im not really sure how to properly tune it.
Since you are clearly prone to destruction of Subs, and you now have a L7, what tuning questions do you have that we might be able to avoid you making another sub go poof?

i just want to get the max bass i can without risking my sub too much. my sub is currently in my accord which i drive about once a month but i will be installing it in my mustang soon and its probably gonna need to be readjusted

coils melt and get stuck in side the pole

spiders come un glued

dust caps pop off

foam / rubber surrounds rip and come un glued.

crap inside the car slams around and punches holes in the cones / surrounds / dust caps

there are realley infinate ways for sub woofers to die.

my fav is the wall socket test tho.

asking a subwoofer to do to much....if you keep blowing a single subwoofer ........ maybe you should upgrade to 2 subs or 4....... i use six..... i really dont have to push my system hard to get the desired results.... plus i use 500 watt subs on 800 watt amps.... i do this so i only get very clean power to my subs.... hence i use 3000 watts of 4800 available.... good.... clean.....low sound.... all at 4 ohms....

Only sub I killed was one of my 2 old Kicker Comp VRs. I think someone was ****ing with my gain because it wasn't where I had it set when I looked after the fact. Started the car with the volume where it was last time and then the sub started making funny noises.

= (

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.