sail panel buil log

Honez
10+ year member

SMOKING CAUSES CANCER
so i got a pair of TBI HDSS TWEP51 tweeters about a week ago. temp installed them in order to get the imaging correct via the angle mounting cups for my sound stage. req and i just spent the past 2 hours final mounting them, wrapping them then finally coating them with some epoxy resin. here are the build pics. we have to finish the pods, they are currently drying after their first coat of resin.

the first picture is of the temporary amp\xover installation in the boot. eventually there will be a complete false floor install after we get back from deployment.

o7lhzo.jpg

let me know what you think.

this is the tweeters installed using the angular mounting brackets, the tweeters are pressure fitted in, and they are VERY tight. the soundstage is very high, we spent an hour or so playing with the IASCA disc and the angle. it came out superb.

ek4vew.jpg

ta3d6f.jpg

this is our workbench. aka reqs false floor cover and our tools and dinner (chipotle burritos)

2rvzrys.jpg

we started by taking the bob smith industries IC2000 cyanoacrylate glue and permanently fixing the angle we fixed.

el4ccj.jpg

5k1qat.jpg

we proceeded to add supports to the front\back of the cup so that when we stretch our form the cup has a stiffer support behind it. we just used 1\4" wooden sticks from the hobby shop. you could use chopsticks or Popsicle sticks.

161df5x.jpg

then we put glue around the edge of the mounting cup to start our form so that the harsh angle would not interfere with the fabric and keep the area where the tweeter is mounted stuck where we needed it.

ao3ls3.jpg

layed the fabric down and shot it with some PT-15 Zip Kicker accelerator.

6o1rus.jpg

we proceeded to glue around the edge of our working area and spraying accelerator as we went around. then trimming it after we were satisfied with the tightness of the stretch and all the wrinkles were out. a second set of hands works very well here.

2ngbt00.jpg

35lwapj.jpg

6e44na.jpg

a test fit in the car before we glass them, and it all looks great! dont mind the wrinkle in the center of the cup - that will be cut out when we are finished.

34humw1.jpg

10wsk80.jpg

take them upstairs to the patio and get a nice thick coat of resin on there.

1t3imv.jpg

and thats where we stand. after they are done we will give them a nice light sand, and since this is not a supportive structure, we are going to fill the cavity behind the tweeter with expandable foam to help with the rigidity, and cover with some sort of fabric.

keep posted, there is lots more to do.

honez \ req

it was really cold outside so the resin was not too happy, we had to take it inside, hopefully it starts drying under the lamp we put over it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

Hey man cool look and clean work, something I do in order to mount rings is use cardboard and roll it around the speaker and make a profile that way, then when you are done you can make an exact copy so that the pods are both exactly the same,

here are some pics...

DSCN1592.jpg

DSCN1595.jpg

DSCN1600.jpg

DSCN1601.jpg

Good job bro, I can't wait until my IASCA disc comes in! So I can learn how crappy my Image really is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Good to see some SQ efforts.

I assume those are crossfired to opposite listener, or thereabouts?

Hey man cool look and clean work, something I do in order to mount rings is use cardboard and roll it around the speaker and make a profile that way, then when you are done you can make an exact copy so that the pods are both exactly the same,
THATS ABSOLUTELY GENIUS... THATS MOST DEF SOMETHING ILL HAVE TO REMEMBER WHEN WE BUILD MY PODS FOR MY ID CX 62'S

ok so i just got a second coat of epoxy resin on my sails... hopefully they will be hard and thick enough to sand down a little then fill them with expanding foam. then do a light finishing coat of body filler to fix any surface imperfections. then primer them with flat black paint. then wrap them with some grill cloth that matches the cloth on my door panels.

should be complete by Sunday if all goes well

will post more pictures once we start up again

honez/ req

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.