Setup is as follows...

Kenwood HU

Memphis Audio M-Class 6.5" Components up front

Memphis Audio M-Class 6.5" Coaxials rear

12" SoundSplinter Sub (ported)

1 Farad Cap

Memphis Audio M-Class 75x4 interior amp

Memphis Audio M-Class 500x1 sub amp

Ive had this setup for almost 3 years now. Its fairly simple but sounds good and clean. Lately i've been noticing that it just doesnt seem to be as loud as when I first got it. I've changed nothing at all. So my question is....do amps just go bad and get weaker? Does the sub just not sound as good the older it gets? Or, the other thing i was thinking is that the capacitor or battery is getting older and weaker which means a lower power delivery to the amps which def would make it not sound as loud.? Or am I just losing my hearing more? The cap is actually about 6 years old...do those go bad? Any input would be great. Just trying to figure out which route to go.

3 years isn't long enough for any degradation to happen with the electrolytics.

Now after 20-25 years and sporadic usage...yeah, you have to start thinking about re-capping amps and crossovers and such //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You know, I always wonder the same thing, but i keep telling myself "It's not because I'm used to it because i sense this vibe when the bass hits at a certain song, and i don't seem to sense it anymore on that particular song"

Its a 06 honda civic with the stock battery in it. Do you think that maybe that doesnt have the same power handling as it did when brand new? I mean i can really tell a difference with where I have to set my levels at on the amp and the HU. If i'm not imagining things, what do you guys think it could possibly be?

You have probably just gotten so used to it that it does not seem to be as loud as it once once.

Its actually fairly amazing.... most people could never hear a system, then hear 130 dbs and think its insanely loud. Then when you hear a louder then the 130 db system is no longer loud and the higher volume becomes the standard. I remember that even with myself. I heard some systems that I thought were SLAMMING when I was a kid. Now I realize they weren't as loud as I thought, but because of my experience with SPL at the time, they were the loudestr I had heard.

And people also get used to their systems full-tilt sound or volume. Why do you think so many of us change equipment a lot. I know when I first got my setup I was like wow, cool, this is louder than my last one. But now, while still fairly loud, Im just getting so used to it.

Its really funny because Im so used to it.... and a lot of the people on here with huge set-ups could sit in my car and not really be wow'ed but when I demo my car to Average Joe Customer they sit in it and are like "wow this is insane its blurring my vision"

Ive thought about all this a few times

Which is by the way why I cant wait to finish the battery bank and get the big boy amp im looking at next month so I can get my second nightshade in //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Lol, i dont think its due to hearing loss. My ears work just as good as they did 4 years ago. I think its about getting used to the bass. The vibration on my back doesnt feel as strong as it used too.

prime example.. I just upgraded from a 500w amp to a 1600w amp..

Im feeding my sub 1050w exactly and it sounded pretty strong the first few times. Now im getting used to it and wondering if its not as loud..

lol

Your just getting used to it.

Just like if you drive a really fast car. At first your like holy **** this is fast! Then you get used to it and its not as impressive.

I always thought the higher frequencies were the 1st to go with hearing loss. I could be wrong but I doubt it:laugh:
I would think it would be either the subs or the super-highs. If are ears are naturally less sensitive to the two extremes of the 20-20K HZ frequency range in the first place probably those are the two areas you get a weaker sense of first when things go downhill. But it's probably more apparent with bass than it is between 17 and 20K where there's not much substantial going on anyway.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.