Shakes, rattles, and rolls

Participant count
  • Participant list

CadillacMatt
10+ year member

Disturbing the Peace
OK, so after spending about $400 on sound deadener so far (Damplifier Pro FTW) I've quieted the trunk down quite a bit. Now my major issue is everything ELSE attached to the car that's rattling //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I glued some stiff foam to the back of my license plate, but the trim ring and bumper trim among other things rattles like the dickens.

So, how do all you sound deadeners out there get creative with it? I thought of maybe silicone behind the trim, maybe weatherstripping, any other ideas? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

When you're down to fixing individual rattles, it's pretty much whatever works best for that particular problem. Silicone and weatherstripping are two useful tools. Putting vibration damper on the back of plastic panels helps, as does using sheets of CCF to isolate them from the sheet metal. You just have to be creative.

Nothing will compensate for parts not being tight enough. If your license plate frame is still rattling, you have to find a way to mount it better. I threw mine away, put damper on the back of the plate and used a thick enough piece of foam to make it tight. I also removed the bumper cover and did quite a bit of sound deadening inside it and on the exposed surfaces of the car.

You can damp vibrations before they get to the rattling part, damp vibrations in the rattling parts themselves and isolate/immobilize the parts. Pretty much all you can do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

CadillacMatt

10+ year member
Disturbing the Peace
CadillacMatt
San Antonio, TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date