Component speaker placement

Participant count
  • Participants list

CadillacMatt
10+ year member

Disturbing the Peace
OK, so I just got my Image Dynamics IDCTX65CS comps in the other day, and I'm anxious to hear them. I'm going to need to build a baffle in order to use the stock 5 1/4" location for the midbass, but I'm trying to figure out where to mount the tweeters.

The manual says to keep the speakers as close as possible, so would I lose anything by having the midbass down in the door panel and the tweets up near the A-pillar?

I would take the midbass and tweet and have a friend or two hold them in certain spots while you chill in the driver's seat, find the best imaging for your tastes, and you should be golden. It's what I'm doing today also for my rsd's.

Also, if you go with the a-pillars, try to face tweets away from the glass on the winshield, I've read it causes reflections in the sound.

OK, thanks for the tips.

My factory tweeters are mounted about halfway up the door, firing straight outwards, so I'm curious to see what difference the tweeter placement will make.

OK I had another idea... how about if I keep the midrange drivers in the stock lower door positions, and mount the tweeters on the lower part of the dash on either side, and swivel them to fire towards my ears?

My dash gradually slopes down so the mounting would be easy and would also provide a clear shot, while in reality only being maybe 6" from where they would be mounted in a kick panel installation, and only a few inches from the midrange.

In this picture, the midrange location is behind the carpeting on the lower front part of the door, and I was thinking of mounting the tweets roundabouts where the leftmost pedal is underneath the dash.

DCP_0037.jpg

I have these same components at the moment.

Eric suggested I put my tweets in the kickpanel and crossfire them to the other listener.

The reason you want to crossfire, is to help the path length difference an to aid the center focus.

I went with putting them in factory locations with a crossfire.

Okay I also just looked at your OP. You will not lose anything by putting them in the apillar or in the dash.

Image Dynamics does a great job of compensating for separation in their passive crossovers. Trust me.

Or better yet, go to the ID forum, and search my two threads.

Tweeter Placement

and Power Distribution in a passive xover.

Those two threads will give you all the info you need on these comps

My first suggestion beyond you needing to go read those threads is, do not put your tweeters on axis, meaning do not point them directly at you, that will make for a crappy image probably.

I have these same components at the moment.Eric suggested I put my tweets in the kickpanel and crossfire them to the other listener.

The reason you want to crossfire, is to help the path length difference an to aid the center focus.

I went with putting them in factory locations with a crossfire.

Okay I also just looked at your OP. You will not lose anything by putting them in the apillar or in the dash.

Image Dynamics does a great job of compensating for separation in their passive crossovers. Trust me.

Or better yet, go to the ID forum, and search my two threads.

Tweeter Placement

and Power Distribution in a passive xover.

Those two threads will give you all the info you need on these comps

My first suggestion beyond you needing to go read those threads is, do not put your tweeters on axis, meaning do not point them directly at you, that will make for a crappy image probably.
So you mean basically fire them towards the center of the car?

Oh, and I tried to go on the ID forums I registered and all, but when I went back after validating no forums showed up in the list. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

That's weird.And no, a crossfire is firing at the opposite listeners head.

Like, the tweeter on the left firing at the passengers seat head
And the right one firing at the driver's head?

I'm pretty sure about mounting them down low on the underside of the dash... it will allow me to aim the tweeters pretty much anywhere... and if anyone has experience with this way of mounting the tweeters please chime in I'd really like to hear about it.

I'm screwing around with placement today as well.

After a bunch of attempts at keeping the tweeters down by the mids I couldn't get away from the soundstage being way too low.

Finally, I tried in the sail panels and am liking things much more.

I guess the stock location in my case wasn't a bad idea.

BTW. It's in a Cadillac Catera.

I'm screwing around with placement today as well.After a bunch of attempts at keeping the tweeters down by the mids I couldn't get away from the soundstage being way too low.

Finally, I tried in the sail panels and am liking things much more.

I guess the stock location in my case wasn't a bad idea.

BTW. It's in a Cadillac Catera.
Same with mine, I thought the tweets near the mids would be better than I thought, in my Cavy it didn't sound so good. I moved them up on the door panel by the lock switch and it sounds alot better. My a-pillars are at a strange angle, they face the winshield. So I can't use them unless I glass up some pods.

BTW to the OP, yes you want to aim the speakers to the center of the vehicle. The best way I've seen someone do it was with a laser pointer, to accurately direct the speakers. I suppose string could work too. Use this method along with putting your speakers in different spots, to get different imaging.

I will definitely try those ideas thanks guys.

What I'm struggling with now is trying to fit these 6.5"s in a 5 1/4" slot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Going to need some MDF rings, a grinder and careful planning.

if you can get a better straight on shot of your door i think it kinda looks like mine. my factory was a 5.25 on a plastic "plate" after i removed the plate and did some slight altering on the interior of the door and built a plate i was able to fit 26.5s in each door.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.