Eonon E1012 Review

Pl8er
5,000+ posts

Can you solve it?
Preface: A few weeks ago we had a bit of spam from a representative of SBO2 which is a distributor of Eonon equipment. Obviously, we did what CA.com is known for and trashed her out of the forum for A. Spamming and B. trying to sell crappy equipment.

I thought about this a bit in detail and thought about all of the current "mid to high end" companies that we all know and respect that are utilizing China build-houses. Many of these companies (Sundown, SI, etc.) have well built products that are much respected throughout our community. This made me curious to see if any of the lower end companies had made improvements to their product lines.

So I contacted Milly at Eonon and inquired about a double-din unit for our family vehicle (2007 Dodge Nitro).

After discussing options with Milly for some time (an interesting part of the sales and marketing is that the sellers can be contacted via Skype/IM/phone/email so you’re really never out of contact with them) I found a unit that worked for me best and ordered it.

Shipping:

Shipping was incredibly fast and the package arrived in just 4 days from Hong Kong! A word of advice on this is to have them send it as a gift so you don't have to deal with customs taxes and also you should keep the original value for insurance reasons. Packing was secure and the box was well sealed. I was actually surprised at the level of protection offered.

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

The Unit: The E1012 retails for 227 shipped with all PayPal fees included. The unit itself is a motorized 7" touch screen with DVD, TV tuner, USB plug and an SD slot behind the screen for photos. The internal amplifier offers 4X65watts.

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

Specs from Eonon are as follows:

Specifications:

-ISO 2 DIN Size

-Screen Size: 7 Inch

-Touch Screen Function

-Fully Motorized Slide Down Control Panel

-Drop Down Detachable Button Panel

-Control Panel Night Illumination Function

-Compatible Format: MP4/DIVX5.0/DVD/VCD/MP3/CD/CD-RW/JPEG

-RCA Video 1 Output/Video2 Output/CAM input /AUX Video 1 input

-RCA audio FR/FL/RR/RL output and AUX Audio R/L Input

-1*TV Antenna Input

-1*Radio Antenna Input

-Built-In USB Port/SD Slot

-Built in amplifier FR/FL/RR/RL 4-Channel Audio Output

-4×65W Surround Stereo

-Image Brightness /Contrast/ Color /Saturation adjustable

-Effect Compensation: POP ROCK CLASS

-Resolution: 480*RGB*234

-TV system: PAL/NTSC

-DVD OSD Language: English /German/Spanish/French/Portuguese/Latin/Korean

-Audio/ Subtitle Language: English/German/Spanish/French/Portuguese /Latin/Korean

-Under Radio mode, can select Europe/ USA radio frequency

-Built-In RDS Radio Receiver Function

-Built-In LCD Clock Display Function

-Auto-memory Function

Installation:

Installation of the unit was very straightforward to the side of what Eonon could control. The harness that comes with the unit has each wire labeled and minus a slight bit of Chinese to English translation errors, no issues at all. They do call the stripe a different name, but as the positive was solid, it was a no-brainer. Now, my install was not without issues, but this was more of my brand of truck that was the problem (problem was fixed using a dremel and some adjusting of the brackets).

As can be expected from a product of China, the manual is very poorly translated. Most of the time, you can understand what they are saying, but a few times I really had to just guess what was trying to be expressed.

Also, just to add to the fun of this install, while initially trying to align everything I hit the open button causing the screen to move and scratch the bottom left. You can’t' notice it during movies or in normal use, but it is there and it does annoy me. It also shows up very clearly in the photos. This was done by me, and not something that happened in transit.

Touch Screen:

The unit itself has a very nice looking screen, slightly thicker than I am used to seeing but not out of place. The initial screen is slightly less glamorous than most models sold in Europe and America but the functionality is still there. Screen to screen time is slightly delayed and the unit does not like multi-taps (usually gives you a function not available error) and that is somewhat annoying if using the touch screen. But the unit’s sensitivity is right and it is just as easy to use the screen as the remote.

IMG_2671.jpg

Installed software (Radio O/S):

My initial thought of the screens was that they are rather non-exciting. Even now they have no "wow" factor to me. I brought my wife out after the install to show her and she was impressed. I've seen much more flashy screens and if that is your thing, look somewhere else.

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

As noted above, navigating from one screen to the other is slow. My Clarion 935 moves through screens much faster and is an older unit. It appears that they have tried to implement some features that more known companies have such as a LOUD function, a few EQ settings along with info from radio stations. A bit of comedy has to be said here that it does not decode that well and it really looks like some sort of Asian talk when it does it poorly (instead of flew it said feww and then corrected it)

The radio screen is straightforward. To save a radio station, just hold down the number you want on the screen and it saves it. The digital display on the bottom left is just a graphic and does not represent what you are listening to.

IMG_2675.jpg

Sometimes it does get it right...

IMG_2676.jpg

DVD:

The DVD unit honestly works much better than I thought it was going to. There is a delay while it loads of about 5-8 seconds which is shown with a loading screen:

IMG_2677.jpg

This seemed to be a bit longer than I was used to but checking against my Clarion unit, it was only about 2 seconds longer. DVD quality is decent for the resolution of the screen (480*RGB*234). Moving from one chapter to the next is VERY fast and FF works well too. You have the option of multiple zooms and subtitles in numerous languages. Colors on the unit from a default were excellent. There are plenty of adjustments that can be made to contrast, color, hue, etc. but I have not made any of those yet.

Red Dragon screen shots.

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

Output (Audio/Aux/USB):

Audio is decent from the internal amplifier but I find it very difficult to compare it as I am running more power and external amps on all of my other systems. The increased power from the amp is definitely an improvement over the stock HU that was in the truck but personally I will be adding amplification once the weather warms up a bit more, or I talk a buddy into borrowing a garage. I feel like the EQ over-emphasizes rather than improves the sound and I left all of the settings on flat. Again, this may be partially due to using external crossovers (RF Symmetry) which allows for fine tuning that you just can't get from this unit.

AUX/USB/RCA outputs: I have not been able to test these yet as the unit has only been installed for a few hours of use and I had no time to do this. I plan to do this and give feedback on that in the next couple of weeks. I also plan to add a follow-up to let you know any issues or problems that have came up.

From an initial stand-point the unit has performed well, does what it is meant to do and I have not run into issues.

Pros:

Very inexpensive

Great DVD playback

Well packaged

Motorized screen moves without hesitation

Decent resolution and nice color from a budget screen

Decent amplification

Remembers previous cd/dvd to resume from previous spot

Many add-on possibilities (USB support, Back-up Camera, Bluetooth microphone)

Cons:

Sluggish navigation of screens

Poor manual translation

Heat! The unit gets rather warm

DVD initial Load time

Software shows options on-screen that are not installed (GPS)

Removeable control bar is too sensitive and falls off, also the unit continues to work without it.

Just some updates. I have used the USB for a few days and it works GREAT. Goes back to the same spot that it left off even if you unplug and plug back in. Load time is VERY fast for usb and no issues moving from one source to another.

I still have not had time to mess with the power antenna to see if not connecting it gave me my poor reception or if it is just the unit. As of right now, the only complaint is that (poor radio reception).

Should be the final updates on this. The poor reception to the receiver was my fault. Had to reconnect antenna and power antenna (although the antenna does not go up and down so not sure why that made a difference).

I set up the blue tooth and it works GREAT. Just like the higher end models do. Once linked if your listening to music and a call comes in, it changes over to answer and when you end the call goes back to where you left off musical.

I receive many emails about this review so I wanted to give a few updates. I still am running the unit in my truck with no issues. I recently added new speakers and amps. So now I am utilizing the RCA's.

Still zero issues. I have noticed some sort of attenuator from the RCA's so when you are switching channels its quiet for a second then the sound comes up to normal. Takes some getting used to, but I like it.

So overall very happy with my purchase. For the price, it has held up well and does what it is intended to do.

Still wish the GUI was a bit better looking.

Just some updates. I have used the USB for a few days and it works GREAT. Goes back to the same spot that it left off even if you unplug and plug back in. Load time is VERY fast for usb and no issues moving from one source to another.
I still have not had time to mess with the power antenna to see if not connecting it gave me my poor reception or if it is just the unit. As of right now, the only complaint is that (poor radio reception).
That is wierd, because I have problems with making the unit's USB port read thumb drives and mp3 players and so on. Also, it only reads 50% of the 2GB SD card (and I only have 1 GB of music on it). Do you have any idea why that could be?

I receive many emails about this review so I wanted to give a few updates. I still am running the unit in my truck with no issues. I recently added new speakers and amps. So now I am utilizing the RCA's.
Still zero issues. I have noticed some sort of attenuator from the RCA's so when you are switching channels its quiet for a second then the sound comes up to normal. Takes some getting used to, but I like it.

So overall very happy with my purchase. For the price, it has held up well and does what it is intended to do.

Still wish the GUI was a bit better looking.
You can eliminate the alternator whine by separating the power wire from the RCA wires. You need at least 20 inches distance between them. The best thing to do is run the power wire on one side of the car and the RCAs on the other. Hope that helps!

That is wierd, because I have problems with making the unit's USB port read thumb drives and mp3 players and so on. Also, it only reads 50% of the 2GB SD card (and I only have 1 GB of music on it). Do you have any idea why that could be?
I have not used SD cards with this, only USB. Is it SD or HDSD? I believe they only work with SD.

Does the stereo have an option to shut off the internal amp? Curious since you said it heats up a lot, that might make it overheat in the summer if you can't turn it off.

Does the stereo have an option to shut off the internal amp? Curious since you said it heats up a lot, that might make it overheat in the summer if you can't turn it off.
I've never had it overheat (I live in Ohio, so not like I have extreme heat though). The discs are very warm when they come out in the summer.

No option to turn off the internal amp.

do you know where i can get a harness for this exact model? for a 2010 honda civic. i got the whole monitor for free, but never got the original harness that came with it. if anyone knows at all please let me know.

do you know where i can get a harness for this exact model? for a 2010 honda civic. i got the whole monitor for free, but never got the original harness that came with it. if anyone knows at all please let me know.

Now I can also find such harness and kits in Eonon for exact model, now seems with big 11% off, cool //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Car DVD, Car DVD Players, Dash Kits, Install Kits & Wiring Harness For Specific Models at Eonon.com

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Pl8er

5,000+ posts
Can you solve it?
Pl8er
Ahwatukee, Az
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies