White Noise

efm80
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
noticed for a long time that when I have my volume up medium to high with no music(whether its paused or skipping to another track) I hear a constant white noise/hiss from my speakers. It doesn't matter if its on aux or cd its the same. I notice that when I cut the tremble it decreases. Does everyone have this to an extent?? I thought it might be my PPI amps from before, but with my new amps its the same. Could it be my older headunit?? Any way to have no audible white noise no matter the volume level? Or is it normal? thanks!

eddie

This is a classic fail, trying to correct someone's spelling and you misspell it too

the hiss is because your gains are set too high on the amp(s) running your mid/tweets. Or a level mismatch in you EQ or crossover if they are seperate components.
definitely agree it might be my amps. My deck is older and the pre-outs are nowhere near the 4v they claim. So the gains are set between 1/2 and 3/4 but were set properly with a voltage meter. can you please explain more on your statement " Or a level mismatch in you EQ or crossover if they are seperate components" My front stage are seperate components. thanks!!

eddie

I meant if you had a seperate EQ and/or crossover .... meaning actually located in a different box than the amp or cd player. They often have input/output controls that set their gain too. You may need a line driver to totally get rid of the noise. Try turning the amp gains to like 1/4 and see if the hiss is still there.

i have the same noise and was also told it was because my gains were set too high due to alpines wonderful 2v preouts. so i went and got a line driver and lowered the gains, but to no success. I would definitely second guess blaming it on the amps gains. if at all possible, try out a HU with higher preouts to make sure before buying a line driver.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.