My Kappas sound AWFUL

Yourgrandma
10+ year member

MN
I just did a complete system in my 02 Bonneville SSEi. I More or less moved my system from my 2DR Tahoe when I sold it, but my speakers were messed up so I warrentied them for Infinity Kappas.

When I bought the car, it had a Pioneer deck and Reference components (6.5") front and 6X9s rear. I yanked the deck and front speakers, wired 14awg to the doors from my 4 channel and wired up the power to my amps (Memphis 1000d for my two Image Dynamics IDQ10s, and a Diamond 400.4 for the speakers). I painstakingly installed the speakers and crossovers (those enormous tweeters are a PITA). I dont relly believe in rear speakers, so I just have them disconnected.

SO heres my problem. It sounds like complete and utter garbage. The mids are harsh, the lower mids are absent and the upper highs (just before the crossover) lack detail and can be harsh.

It sounds like baffle diffraction and a horn effect. In my car, the speakers mount to the interior panel, so it has a lame baffle to begin with, and theyre also recessed an inch and a half from the outside of the panel. Both are very bad for sound, so obvoiusly I want to address both issues. However, the refereces didn't sound this bad. What gives?

I'm bainstorming possible solutions to the problem. First, I want to build a fiberglass enclosure onto the door panel to give the driver an airspace of its own, stiffen the door panel and add weight to the baffle. The problem there is that I'd have to make it removeable. The driver is rear mount.

I dynamatted the doorskin, which made an aready very quiet car eirily silent. I think that doing the panel and door structure would be of help as well.

I still need to tune the filters on the amps, but its had when it sounds so bad.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Any help here is much appreciated.

also, kappas are considered harsh by many people. It's like the alpine type s speakers, they can get loud but are very harsh to the point you think your ears are going to bleed.

you may want to upgrade to perfects if you like kappa's. I heard people on here say they are really good

Hmm, I would like to think they'd sound better than they do. I had Diamond D3's in my 'Hoe and they sounded way better, and the references that came in the car were not this bad.

They don't just sound crappy loud, so I cant see 130 wpc being too little when I'm only using a watt or two.

I wish I could have gotten something else, but I got the busted diamonds at Ultimate and thier pitiful line tops out at the Kappas.

What I'd like to do is borrow a laptop and run some sweeps of REW to see just how bad the response is.

Any other ideas, though? Like I said, this doesn't sound like "I just don't like this speaker" bad, it's like "What the hell is wrong" bad. Not quite "Tweeter and woofer switched" bad, but it sounds like hell. What I'm doing is bringing it to the head installer at ultimate and seeing what he thinks, as I'm sure hes heard a lot more kappas than I have.

if you ever overpowered them too much then it may have damaged the speaker pretty bad. If it's not that then you may be overpowering them right now.

How many rms are you sending them now?

I've never cranked on them, they've sounded terrible since they went in. I just finished it on Sunday night. I have my 4X65 bridged, but too much power will only hurt you if you use it. I ran it normal as well, and it was the same story, just less sencitive to volume changes.

also, kappas are considered harsh by many people. It's like the alpine type s speakers, they can get loud but are very harsh to the point you think your ears are going to bleed.
you may want to upgrade to perfects if you like kappa's. I heard people on here say they are really good
who exactly on here says the Perfects are good? it seems to me everyone is constantly bashing them, including myself who owns a pair.

So is it the general consesnsus that the speakers are THAT bad? Like, 1953 transistor radio bad? I've heard factory systems in geo prizms sound better than this...

I've never cranked on them, they've sounded terrible since they went in. I just finished it on Sunday night. I have my 4X65 bridged, but too much power will only hurt you if you use it. I ran it normal as well, and it was the same story, just less sencitive to volume changes.
depends on the speakers, some like a lot more than rated power and some don't. it can hurt your speakers.

who exactly on here says the Perfects are good? it seems to me everyone is constantly bashing them, including myself who owns a pair.
i'm not saying there great, i've never owned a pair. But alot of people say they are good budget speakers.

I think it is your settings OP, try adjusting the EQ curve and lowering midrange or lows in the speakers a little. Sometimes too much midrange can distort speakers if they aren't great speakers, and the kappas are average at best.

i have kappas and for the money you cant beat em. They get loud, but they are a little harsh.

Somthing must be wrong if yours sound like garbage

try messing with your filters on your amp. Mine sounded like garbo and i messed with the settings and they sound good now! did it sound like it was only lower freq, not loud, and really mumbly sounding?

depends on the speakers, some like a lot more than rated power and some don't. it can hurt your speakers.
Point number one: They sounded bad from the first time I fired them up.

Point number two: I've never cranked them up, I'd guess I've only ever hit them with 5 or so watts (I assume you know how the power:spl curve looks)

Point number three:How would having a lot of power available damage a speaker if it is not used?

Point number four: The speakers are not blown, they don't clip, theres no mechanical damage.

Of course I don't mean to be a smartass, I just don't see the link. You input is appreciated, but I'n not sure were on the same page. They should sound the same whether theyre on a 15 watt or 1000 watt amp if you're only using a watt or two to drive them to 80 or so dB. As long as the amp works, that is. I checked that as well. I hooked them up to the reciever in my garage stereo to test the wiring quickly and they sounded bad then.

i have kappas and for the money you cant beat em. They get loud, but they are a little harsh.Somthing must be wrong if yours sound like garbage

try messing with your filters on your amp. Mine sounded like garbo and i messed with the settings and they sound good now! did it sound like it was only lower freq, not loud, and really mumbly sounding?
I won't argue, they do respond to power, and I havent heard any mechanical disress (when driven full range during testing), but I'm a fan of a nice, warm midrange and these make me nausious.

I have a pair of Kappa 6.5s running off of a sundown 100.4. To me they sound good and can be loud but htye do lack the midbass like others have said. But I didn't want them for the midbass. i wanted them for how clear and loud they can get. On the other hand I do have a set of cdt cl-62s and they sound great off of the sundown amp. SO maybe play around with your setting or something.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.