Batteries in toolbox in bed of truck?

Participant count
  • Participant list

duece212
5,000+ posts

Buddy Christ!
Colorado
I saw that chevy audio did this, not sure on the results. My only concern is heat/cold impacting performance here in Colorado.

I have 3 PM d3100s I'm going to use and was thinking about putting them in a toolbox in the bed of my truck then running around 4 runs of 1/0 (+ and -) to some bus bars inside the cab. I would make my 2 runs from the front batt go to the buss bars inside as well. I'd then run from those buss bars to my amps (AB 500.1 and kicker 550.2)

Anybody else run batts in a toolbox or have suggestions/thoughts? It will save me space inside and I'll have less concerns of 3 possible 80lb projectiles in the cab with me in the case of an accident...

if heat/cold is a problem, make an insulated battery box INSIDE the toolbox or whatever
I can definately insulate them, problem is, when the trucks been sitting in 10 degree or 100 degree weather for hours they will stay at that temp insulated or not. I'm just wondering if the batts would have any performance issues from the extreme heat or cold over time.

wouldnt that happen under a hood, or in a trunk also though
True, under hood it will get hot, in a trunk it might stay somewhat controlled depending on how well the ac/heat got into the trunk.

I think I will go that route. Will save me a ton of space and I'd feel alot better about 240lbs of battery being mounted down in the bed than inside the truck.

dont worry about insulating it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif it'll be fine
Gracias. Doing it this way will just be safer and easier.

i know this morning it was 34* and i'm sure the trunk and under hood were roughly that. i know my fckin leather seats were.
lol
leather...stupid hot in the summer, stupid cold in the winter. Looks good though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.