00' S-10 budget SQ install 2-8's/.48KW

slopecarver
10+ year member

Erie, PA
I've owned this truck since I was 17 and am now 21, It deserves some acoustical upgrades. As a note, this is my first install aside from a friends head unit. Last fall I installed Infinity Reference 6022I 6.5" speakers in the doors and Reference 6422CFP 4"x6" in the dash. Many people have said I don't need the dash speakers but they bring the sound stage up and add crisp highs. This fall i'm working on the low end but first I had to remove the stock radio. I decided on a Pioneer DEH-P5000UB which I installed last Wednesday/Thursday, It was $170 shipped with install hardware from the Crutchfield outlet which means it's recertified. Of course I soldered and heat shrunk all the connections for the wiring adapter. Pics will be added some other time when it's daylight.

So what i'll be installing:

2 8" sundown e8's.

an Eclipse XA1000 which was shipped for $122 brand spanking new.

I'm shooting for SQ so I guess i'm lucky I have a regular cab. The box must be tiny though because I drive with the seat all the way back or 1 click forward. I modeled the box in Autodesk Inventor and will post a video/pictures later.

The meat of the install will begin in about 2 weeks when the drivers arrive. Before that I'll get into running the wiring, probably not soon because of schoolwork.

I have PICTURES! Only the Head Unit installed, where the box/amp/subs will go, and the amp. Ignore the dust, I haven't wiped down the surfaces recently. Changed to photobucket, pictures should load now....

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

Flush Mounted (had to hack-saw the old radio support bracket)

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

Properly soldered and heat-shrunk wires for the HU:

DSC00236.jpg

Where the subs will go, I'll be removing the jack so I'll have the whole width of the cab to work with:

IMG_0078.jpg

Not much space to work with.... 9" on the bottom, 13" on the back and 3" on the top:

IMG_0077.jpg

Who would have thunk you could get 480watts RMS for $122 shipped brand spanking new? Oh and it's small which is great for my application.

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

It's half full and I believe shipping would cost more than $5 IF I could ship it, would they allow flammable liquids to be shipped?
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

i think he was joking

I Know he was joking, mainly in reference to my statements of prices and the fact that they were shipped.....besides, who would wan one bottle of pennzoil for more than what it's worth in the store?

if you wanted sound quality I would have put more into the installation and used different speakers
Explain, and mind you this is a BUDGET setup and my first.

i think it wont be bad at all concidering your past in CA. a hell of a lot better than i started with. and x2 on sq being more install dependant. maybe upgrade the speakers later on , but none the less , a good start.

good luck.

Thanks for all the support guys!

I know this isn't exactly equipment but necessary for the install anyways. I've chosen monoprice.com for my RCA cables, most everyone on here uses knukoncept wires which I don't doubt are awesome but I feel a coaxially shielded RG-59/U cable can do better. I encourage everyone to check out monoprice.com for good deals on most if not all of your A/V connectivity solutions. Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with this company in any manner.

IMG_0091.jpg

I'm on my 2nd s-10 truck. I also have Infinity 4x6 plate's any 3-way coaxial's as my front stage the sound is pretty good. A good combination of sound from the plates and the coaxial's, should be considered by others with this combo as a front stage option. I like my highs crispy! Those Infinity's are a good start. Two 8" subs and the seat all the way back, gonna be tight. What mounting depth will you have for the box? For my crew cab, the clearance behind the back seat was 4" depth at 9" height. I went with 1 shallow mount behind the seat and one in a small box in the center console position in the back. My subs are 6.5" little babies, stealth install though. Pimp that s-10 up!

I'm on my 2nd s-10 truck. I also have Infinity 4x6 plate's any 3-way coaxial's as my front stage the sound is pretty good. A good combination of sound from the plates and the coaxial's, should be considered by others with this combo as a front stage option. I like my highs crispy! Those Infinity's are a good start. Two 8" subs and the seat all the way back, gonna be tight. What mounting depth will you have for the box? For my crew cab, the clearance behind the back seat was 4" depth at 9" height. I went with 1 shallow mount behind the seat and one in a small box in the center console position in the back. My subs are 6.5" little babies, stealth install though. Pimp that s-10 up!
The e8 drivers have a mounting depth of 4.25" and i'll be recessing them into the front baffle a bit so they don't rub the seat backs. I don't know the exact dimensions of the magnets on the drivers but it looks like I'll need to use a router to carve clearance pockets on the bottom and back of the box. I'll be using some sort of grill too, probably modified kitchen cabinet handles (they're called pulls). My outer box dimensions now will be 8" across the bottom with 7" for the center console, 12" tall up to the plastic trim panel and 3" across the top from the back wall to the back of the seat. length will be 50.75" and that'll be tight with the existing trim.

I'll see if I can take some beauty-shots of my truck when the weather isn't so crap-tastic around here.

Box mock-up In inventor with dimensions:

boxdimensions.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.