speakers cutting out

Participant count
  • Participants list

5.7RAM
10+ year member

IL
So I installed some MTX 6x9s in my 95 Grand Prix and after that all the speakers would cut out. Nothing would play but the sub. The front speakers are stock and they too whent out. The sound comes back after a while, not sure whats up. i think it might be the HU because before this it seemed like it would skip when the volume was high.

Any thoughts of what it could be? I have a small 4ch amp that I might toss in once I get the front speakers in and buy a distro block. Maybe then it wont happen.

Could be a short to ground on one of the speakers, or to sound deadener is you have any. Could also be the HU's amp not holding up, or dirty power. Install the 4-channel now, and do the front speakers later. As long as the front speakers pull an ohm load that's safe for that amp, and you don't get too ridiculous with the gain, you should be fine. Even if they do blow, who cares? You're about to replace them anyways.

To check for a short to ground, cont test each speaker wire to ground. Anything more than 0, check that speaker. To check for short to deadener, which may not necessarily ground, cont test across each VC, and make sure all the readings are reasonable and somewhat close to the rating of the speaker.

Yea i had a problem with my speaker wire terminal touching my sound deadner and causing all my speakers to stop working.
I see it all the time. We had a car in the shop for over 2 hours yesterday after dynamat'ing the rear deck, and the rear speakers and subs (all factory) kept shutting down. The Dynamat was rolled over the edge of the speaker hole, and shorting the terminals together, but they were not shorted to ground.

Hmmmm, The way I had to place the speaker in there was to have it just sitting in the hole. It doesnt fit because it uses this plastic thing that holds it but I couldnt get the factory speakers out of the holder. The basket of the 6x9 is touching the rear deck so I think thats whats shorting it. I'll try fixing it tommorow and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.