What are the advantages of Bandpass?

Pros:

Easy to direct output.

Higher power handling.

Keeps speaker free from debris.

Proper design leads to great low frequency extension.

Cons:

Usually a large enclosure.

Hides distortion so you can't detect possible damage to your driver.

Overall, very hard on the driver.

Very hard to build, and design.

- Steve

the bottom line is this: unless you plan to build your own bandpass box and put a ton of hours of design and work into it, do not get one. you especially dont want a pre-fab bandpass box.

-nate

Well when I first got into car audio, I got a pre fabbed bandpass for my bazooka subs. (They weren't all that bad actually, bazooka only has a bad rep cause of the tube subs, other than that, bazooka is pretty good) I can tell you, only get a bandpass if you want pure SPL. It ruins any kind of SQ (unless built directly for that sub) but makes almost any kind of driver really loud.

4th order bandpass has a good transient response, power handling, and a lower cutoff frequency.

A 6th order bandpass has very nice power handling within its passband, but outside of the passband it's power handling is poor- the driver relies on its suspension under the passband (just like ported)...not too good of a transient response as well...

Originally posted by snova031 4th order bandpass has a good transient response, power handling, and a lower cutoff frequency.

A 6th order bandpass has very nice power handling within its passband, but outside of the passband it's power handling is poor- the driver relies on its suspension under the passband (just like ported)...not too good of a transient response as well...
Thanks for all the responses.

Do you know a web site where i can get instructions on how to construct a proper bandpass enclosure. Im just curious.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.