Question about a Kerfed Enclosure?

id think so..

toth2-1103.jpg

it may be possible but i dont see any big curves being done safely

you can always form it

just make a form to use and soak the birch and slowly bend it to shape

Should be easier actually as kerfing wasn't never really intended for MDF. Just cut through to the last 2 plys and you should be fine...

Look up "kerfing" on yahoo and all of the examples will be with some type of plywood usually or hardwood and they wet it when bending it...

i remember seeing someone had a kerfed enclosure built with the baffle/port kerfed out of birch. the baffle/port was also stained which looked really nice and everything else was carpetted. you could always try with some scrap would.

You dont want to use regular Birch Plywood. Baltic Birch is the material you need to use. And yes, BB can be kerfed as far as I know. I have never tried it myself, but I have seen it done. Shouldnt be any different than doing it with MDF.

kinda ot but at work we have these thin (1/8"X3'X3') sheets of various kinds of wood, i was thinking of making a "jig" by routing my horn shape. a top and bottom groove, bending, gluing, overlaping them to whatever thickness i desire, along the way pieces of this wood. then just having to square the ends w/ the saw at the end. thoughts on this???

Thanks for all the help guys! If I could find Baltic Birch BJ I would be greatful, but nothing around here but ply. It's worked fine in the past, but with the bends, I could see it possibly splitting between the tiny spaces of each layer.

Although if you use the steam/water method, I could see it maybe working. I wonder if the integrity would be compromised in the strength of it after it is bent...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.