8ga wire for subs?

5.7RAM
10+ year member

IL
Good,bad? I bought my type r used and figured I would open up the box and see how it was wired...well. I found 10gauge wire connecting the two VC's and 16ga to the terminal on the box. I wasnt too happy with this so I decided to take a trip to the the local sound shop to get some new wires. I ended up getting some 8gauge power wire for only .50$ a foot and put that in there. There was a noticable change. The sub seemed to "flex" more...(not sure what to call it when the cone goes in and out when the bass hits). Overall I was happy with it but wondering if it would have a negative effect on the sub? Doesnt seem like overkill since 8ga is prety small but just wondering.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

type r's are iffy. i have ran 8 gauge to them but in a friends install the weight of the wire (he had 8ga also) kept pulling them out. the easiest way is to run 4 10 or 12ga wires to the sub and dont use the jumpers. i have also seen problems with the jumpers staying in.

What do you mean by jumper??

With some help from CA.com ive decided to throw like 8-1000wrms at the typeR so should i keep the 8awg in?

12 awg is more then enough.

x2 its such short runs of wire he could get away with even 14 im sure without a difference. but I would have left what was in the box unless it was some el cheapo with thick insulation and was smaller then 12 guage

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.