charging system help

Participant count
  • Participant list

big dawg
10+ year member

Hey guys, I have an 01 Bonneville SE. In it I have an Eclipse cd7000 headunit, Diamond Audio Hex components in the front door and Diamond audio D3 6x9's in the rear deck. I have a D3 500.4 on them. My subs are D6 15's I have a D3 1000.1 on each sub. my total fuse size is 250.

My charging system consists of a 200 amp alternator, and my second battery is a kinetik hc1400 1500 cca's. I do know that they sent me a pulley that was too big on my HO alt and they have sent me a smaller one. My question is though, My headlights still get super dim, and my voltage gauge drops down pretty low when im driving on regular roads. Do you guys feel like this is all based on the fact that my pulley is too big? or do you think i need some imporvments in my charging system? I would love to compete in small local comps but more so, I want it to just be a good everyday driving system. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming you're running your sub amps @ 1 ohm, the HO alt is too small to handle 3000RMS at full tilt with a running car. That kinetik HC1400 is way too small, as well.

What battery under your hood?

Do you have a volt meter in your car to watch your voltage?

I assume you've done the big three in 1/0?

How is your ground connected in your trunk? Weak grounds can cause voltage dips.

You should move the HC1400 to under your hood and then get 1 maybe even 2 HC2400 or powermaster D3400s in the trunk. This will help prevent the large dip in voltage you get when your bass first hits (this dip won't show up on a volt meter because it is so short) and your regulator on the alt plays catch up.

I have just the stock battery under the hood. I was thinking about moving the kinetik to its location. I made sure that i used a good frame ground for my amps because i undertstand that the ground is the most important wire in audio. right? Yeah my voltage gauge drops tremendously. especially at a red light and even worse with the a/c on. I dont even have my gain up very high at all either. kinetik 2400? two of them? man that is alot . And yes i do have the big three which in an 01 bonneville, I call the huge three because my battery is under my back seat. So should I run two more batteries for sure? Is kinetik better than optima?

Kinetik is definitely better than optima. Many say Powermaster is better than Kinetik in cost ratio (more for your buck).

You could have an issue where your frame cannot support the amount of current for your ground. I haven't dealth with over 2000RMS myself. You may be better off with 1 or maybe 2 runs of 1/0 dedicated ground wire from engine block/alternator to the stock battery location and then from there to your trunk with spare battery(s).

Does your voltage ever drop at odd times? Say when the volume isn't that loud and you know it shouldn't drop but yet it does? Maybe when the AC kicks on? A sudden surge of power need with a drop in voltage may be an indicator that the ground is insufficient.

I'd try a bigger battery in the trunk and use the Kinetik in the stock location. If that does little to help with the voltage issues, then you may have a grounding issue (but even if you do, you'll at least want one more bigger battery anyway).

ok. I appreciate the help. I will make the investment. ps- can anyone on here convince my old lady to not kill me?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif

ok so i changed my pulley today. the voltage meter seems to be alot stronger but it still drops. I decided to turn off my radio and a/c to see what it did. The neede still drops down slightly. Is that just a catch to having a HO alternator? because my stock unit never dropped like that at idle unless my radio was on. not even if i had my a/c on. Do i need to reset my idle higher?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.