A|G Electronic RG-402 Build Thread

joetama
5,000+ posts

The British Ear
So, I finally after lots of time thinking reading more thinking and finally purchasing got the parts to build my first amplifier. Most of the circuit boards came from a 3rd party source but all the components, power supply parts, case, & other electronics were built from scratch. I'm still working out some of the final design details mostly with the case & 'other' equipment.

It is going to be in the range of 200 x 2 @ 8 Ohms. It is MOS-FET powered with a simple driver stage & single power supply. I looked into a dual monoral design and the extra cost, size & weight didn't justify the benefits in power. But, I am building the power supply to be considerably oversized in comparison to the normal recomendations of the amplifier designer.

I'll post more information and pictures tomorrow maybe. I've got a busy week and don't know how much time I'll have to work on it.

*Update*

Ok, so I have one circuit board complete and have all the parts (I think) to finish everything.

The amplifiers are a Rod Elliot Design. After doing a lot of looking around at several kits his seemed to be the nicest and followed the design idea that I liked the most, simplicity. I purchased the circuit boards from his website at ESP. They are "Project 101" 200 Watt MOS-FET amplifiers. I am using two of the circuit board amplifiers to make one stereo amplifier. I opted to use the ECX10N20 & 10P20 from Exicon as my main power MOS-FETs. They were very easy to obtain and weren't as expensive as I was thinking they would be. Great company to order from, shipped directly from the good ol' UK. I could have used the 2SK1058 & 2SK162, but they seemed harder to find and a lot of the places that were selling them were a bit scary, especially since there are a lot of fake transistors floating around the internet. I purchased most of the components from Mouser (company accounts rock //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif) and took a good amount of time narrowing down which pieces and parts to use. I ordered about 1.5-2x the quantity I needed and matched all the values as close as I could get them. This way I kept a very tight consistency between the two amplifiers.

The case was easier than I originally hoped. I was going to build it from scratch out of aluminum sheet metal, however I found an old Ross Systems "MegeAmp 800" chilling in our warehouse which we took from an install we did. It wasn't working so I had no bad feelings about destroying an amplifier. I stripped all of the paint and refinished it with a 'rough' texture paint. The pictures don't do it justice but it turned out pretty **** nice. The only thing that angers me a little is that as I started my final coat of paint I ran out. SO after a quick drive to the store I am back and ready to paint only to find the nozzle on the can is screwed up. So, I might restrip the front and redo it with a can that works... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I am in the process right now of mounting everything in the chassis. I have to drill the holes for the transformer, transistor mounts, and soft start circuit. I need to start wiring and put the power supply together.

That's pretty much it for now. Will keep you updated!

Here are some pictures of the first circuit board:

DSC01424Medium.jpg

Parts:

DSC01426Medium.jpg

Soldering Station:

DSC01427Medium.jpg

WLW //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/woot.gif.aaa6090e619a97b6090d16dd863c5a69.gif

DSC01428Medium.jpg

First Complete Board:

DSC01429Medium.jpg

DSC01431Medium.jpg

DSC01432Medium.jpg

Test Fit:

DSC01442Medium.jpg

DSC01444Medium.jpg

Whats this, Joetama going DIY?!?!? Hehe...

Good luck man! In for pics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

haha welcome to DIY bliss... well if you built it right.. well if you can solder worth a crap... *LOL*

Just messin with ya. DIY is the most rewarding thing I have ever done and I get more enjoyment out of my projects than anything I could ever buy off the shelf.

Also have a link to the website of the amp you plan to build?

Thanks...

I'm really looking forward to think point when this thing makes some noise... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/woot.gif.aaa6090e619a97b6090d16dd863c5a69.gif

when you finish this one are you gonna make more to sell?how much?

I need to update my spreadsheet I made when budgeting this project.

Originally with getting a case from another source and modifying it I was looking at around $1,000 total, without hours. But, I have gone over my budget in a few areas and under in a few also so I need to update that total. Using the old case and refurbishing it saved a lot of money.

$100 in Boards

$100 Transformer

$150 Transistors

$250 Mouser Parts

$50 More Mouser Parts

$150 Heat Sink

$50 Metal

Etc etc.... It adds up quickly. I will never look at a $1000 commercial amplifier as expensive after building this project.

But, if I was to sell it add labor for 20+ hours and 50-75% to cover overhead costs and other expenses to give a slight profit.

So, I don't think it would be worth while to sell them. Especially since it is only me building them right now.

When I get done I'll post a parts spreadsheet with prices...

No one builds a really good MOS-FET amplifier for the money. Not sure why, I guess they just prefer bipolar...
I agreed until you posted what you'r budget was around. There have been plenty of good Mos-Fet designs in the past that, on the used market, would cost well under $1k..... but you wouldn't have the satisfaction of calling it your own, so I commend you on taking the plunge //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.