What does running "active" mean?

Each speaker has its own amp channel, and the frequencies they receive are filtered with an electronic active crossover, either external, or in the head unit. There are no passive crossovers involved.

Hell, I think its something to do with running each component on their own crossover or something, like instead of using the crossover that comes with component sets, you have each thing on a different channel crossover-ed separately.... something like that? lol

edit: i was kinda close lol..

LOL, I don't feel so bad now:D Thanks for the replies. I am picking up my car tomorrow and found out that the stock HU crosses the output's directly from the HU itself, so I am kind of stuck I guess...not sure really how my installer handled this, but I am def gonna find out. Kind of ***** to buy a set of speakers with an expensive crossover only to have it not be used. I am sure there is some reason alot of people are doing this though.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/search.gif.e79a63b2b580b39b282dff402646b704.gif :search: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/search.gif.e79a63b2b580b39b282dff402646b704.gif

There is TONS of information on this site about what active is.

LOL, I don't feel so bad now:D Thanks for the replies. I am picking up my car tomorrow and found out that the stock HU crosses the output's directly from the HU itself, so I am kind of stuck I guess...not sure really how my installer handled this, but I am def gonna find out. Kind of ***** to buy a set of speakers with an expensive crossover only to have it not be used. I am sure there is some reason alot of people are doing this though.

People do it because it allows you to tailor the sound to how YOU want it. i can set the crossover frequency for the tweeters at what i want, then the mids at the frequency I want, then the sub at the frequency I want. The crossover lso has output gain for each amplifier which allows more control.

Correct me someone if I am wrong, but setting the crossover frequency BEFORE the signal is amplified results in a cleaner sound.

You would need 3 amps(Im assuming each amp is a 2 channel amplifier) to run this setup. One dedicated amplifier for your tweeters, 1 for your mids, and one for your subs.

I am amazed people are still running passive systems.

People do it because it allows you to tailor the sound to how YOU want it. i can set the crossover frequency for the tweeters at what i want, then the mids at the frequency I want, then the sub at the frequency I want. The crossover lso has output gain for each amplifier which allows more control.
Correct me someone if I am wrong, but setting the crossover frequency BEFORE the signal is amplified results in a cleaner sound.

You would need 3 amps to run this setup. One dedicated amplifier for your tweeters, 1 for your mids, and one for your subs.

I am amazed people are still running passive systems.
You don't NEED 3 amps

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.