Need help with component choices

ryyo

Okay, my first post:

I really need some help with choosing a new component set. Currently, I've got a set of MB Quart DKD116's that I've had for about a year. These speakers are really pissing me off, and I'm real close to ripping them out and slamming 'em on the ground.

The rest of the system consists of an Alpine amp (I know, need a new amp too) which is powering the components with approx. 80 watts each, an Alpine IVA D100, an older alpine digital sound processor/eq (can't think of the model number right now), and a JL Audio 10w1. I've tried several other amps on the components to no avail. The Quarts are crossed over using the supplied passives. They're mounted in the doors and there is no sound dampening in the doors (at all). I don't want to add any sound dampening because I really do not want to add any more weight to the car. I know I can't expect much out of the midbass with this setup, but my real problem is with the midrange and highs. The midrange is almost non-existent, and the highs just sound like crap (usually way too harsh). I've done as much eq'ing on them as one could stand, but just cannot get them to sound good. The imaging, however, has been fairly decent due to the dsp.

Now, a little background. I've been into car audio for a long time (almost 18 years now), but I've never had a nice sq system. When I was younger, I was more into the loud obnoxious bass thing and always had coax's in the front (little did I know). I always told everyone that I'd never get away from that, but here I am older and now wanting a much cleaner sounding system.

I've been doing a lot of research recently, and it's only getting more perplexing. I've been hearing some good things about the PG RSD65CS's, but would they be worth buying over the Quarts that I already have?

What I'm looking for in a componet set:

-Don't really want to spend more than $300 (I know this excludes the higher end equipment).

-I listen to all types of music (and sometimes, okay, a lot of times, like to play it LOUD), and I would like a set that will stay clean, not harsh or bright, at higher volume levels without fatigue. At the same time, I do like to hear the details.

Alright, I apologize for the long first post, but any help on choosing a new component set would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Ts-c720prs
Thanks. I've heard some good and bad about them. The big thing for me is if they be much better than the Quarts I have now. The Quarts aren't exactly horrid, but I just can't get the sound and presence that I want from them.

Thanks. I've heard some good and bad about them. The big thing for me is if they be much better than the Quarts I have now. The Quarts aren't exactly horrid, but I just can't get the sound and presence that I want from them.
Check out CJ's review over at DIYMA. Keep in mind these are hard core SQ guys that are exponentially more critical than joe-schmoe when reviewing and rating a boxed component set.

Yeah, I checked out that review last week. It seems that they'll sound pretty decent going active, but it may be a while before I can afford to set that up. I'm looking to get the Alpine h701 eventually to use with my head unit/dvd player, but want to get the speakers first.

You might try the Boston Acoustics Pro 60s. Great speakers and they fit your price range and sound great. Very alive. You might try putting a piece of deadener and/or a speaker mat directly behind them to help with the mid bass. It adds a little weight, but not like full deadening. Good luck.

We are probably very similar in many aspects. I am 38 and been in to audio since I was a kid.

I just bought the RSD 6.5s last week and put them into the doors of my Chevy Silverado. I am running them active with an external crossover, so the passives that came with the speakers are sitting int the box.

I have an Alpine Ida-x001 head unit. From there signal goes to a Zapco PEQ, to an xm3 electronic crossover, then to my 3 amps. A zapco ref 750, ref 150, and a Coustic Amp 260 on the mids.

I can tell you without a doubt the RSDs sound great. I have turned up the sound to the point where I dont want it any louder and these things could do much more.

I am sure running them active has a significant change in the way they sound.

You can read review after review and never really make an informed decision until you listen to them. I just ****** it up and took a chance based upon what those on this forum were saying about the RSDs. I promise you wou will not be disappointed with them.

We are probably very similar in many aspects. I am 38 and been in to audio since I was a kid.
I just bought the RSD 6.5s last week and put them into the doors of my Chevy Silverado. I am running them active with an external crossover, so the passives that came with the speakers are sitting int the box.

I have an Alpine Ida-x001 head unit. From there signal goes to a Zapco PEQ, to an xm3 electronic crossover, then to my 3 amps. A zapco ref 750, ref 150, and a Coustic Amp 260 on the mids.

I can tell you without a doubt the RSDs sound great. I have turned up the sound to the point where I dont want it any louder and these things could do much more.

I am sure running them active has a significant change in the way they sound.

You can read review after review and never really make an informed decision until you listen to them. I just ****** it up and took a chance based upon what those on this forum were saying about the RSDs. I promise you wou will not be disappointed with them.
I've heard that they have good midbass response, but how about the midrange and treble aspect of them? With the EQ and electronic crossover, are you having any signal noise issues?

Hello, New to the forum and I just wanted to let you know that I just purchased a pair of Morel Tempo 6 components. I replaced a set of older quart QM160's. I was a bit nervous because the speakers were only 299.00. I listened to a set of Focal Polygraphs in the parking lot (one of the installers girlfriends car)and the Morel Tempos in another car before purchasing. The Morels seem to have a bit more mid base and not so bright of a tweeter. I have been a Focal fan for a while and thought that they were the way to go until I listened to the Morels. The Morels really shine with Rock and vocals, but seemed a bit flat with some of the hiphop music that I listen to once in while. The Focals seem to be more forgiving for rap but the guitar sound did not appear as fresh and real as they did with the Morel speakers. I cant' imagine finding better speakers for the money. I have also owned Diamond Audio, Cliff Design and Boston Pros(12 years ago) components and would put these Morels up against them very easily.

Try and listen to some if you can.

I put them in 99 Ranger

amp...JL audio 300/4

Memphis 10 ported box pushed with 500 watts

I've heard that they have good midbass response, but how about the midrange and treble aspect of them? With the EQ and electronic crossover, are you having any signal noise issues?
I do have a slight alternator wine when I turn the volume all the way down. I havent even messed with it yet as it is so low.

I am looking to use the symblink cables in the next few months for the zapco amps and I will start playing with my ground.

Get the RSDs. You wont be disappointed.

Go for a set of Image Dynamics CD-1Es or mini horns. Sound awesome replaced a set of MB Quart QSDs running active 3-way with these ID horns and could not believe the difference in sound quality. Absolutely amazing what a set of horns can do to staging.

Hello, New to the forum and I just wanted to let you know that I just purchased a pair of Morel Tempo 6 components. I replaced a set of older quart QM160's. I was a bit nervous because the speakers were only 299.00. I listened to a set of Focal Polygraphs in the parking lot (one of the installers girlfriends car)and the Morel Tempos in another car before purchasing. The Morels seem to have a bit more mid base and not so bright of a tweeter. I have been a Focal fan for a while and thought that they were the way to go until I listened to the Morels. The Morels really shine with Rock and vocals, but seemed a bit flat with some of the hiphop music that I listen to once in while. The Focals seem to be more forgiving for rap but the guitar sound did not appear as fresh and real as they did with the Morel speakers. I cant' imagine finding better speakers for the money. I have also owned Diamond Audio, Cliff Design and Boston Pros(12 years ago) components and would put these Morels up against them very easily.
Try and listen to some if you can.

I put them in 99 Ranger

amp...JL audio 300/4

Memphis 10 ported box pushed with 500 watts

I wish I could give them a listen. Although the area I live in is decently populated and keeps growing, the car audio stores are in decline. And of the places that are still around (not including the Best Buy's and Circuit City's), they all carry the same mass-produced brands (Alpine, JL, Boston, Rockford, Sony, Pioneer, etc.). I did listen to some of the newer Boston Pro's and even the expensive JL xr's, but I wasn't overly impressed. This was, however, in a shop where the set of speakers were separated by about 10ft. Im sure those 2 sets would sound way better than my Quarts in the car.

The tweeters on the RSD's are perfect for my tastes, it's not harsh at all and adds a warm full feeling to the vocals and instruments that I really enjoy, they never fail no matter what I'm listening to, I'm running mine active and my tweeters are crossed over at 2600 Hz at 12db/octave.

Midrange is not quite where i want it but I've only had them in my car for about a week and a half, and most of that time i wasn't tuning ****. But I'm sure with further tuning i can get the midrange up to what I want, the midbass however is exceptional, I don't even have deadener on my doors, and it's adding a whole new experiene to my music that my stock speakers sorely missed, I can only assume it will get better with deadener.

But I'm a little biased as these, a set of pioneer coaxials, a set of pioneer comps, and a set of some no name circuit city brand speakers are all I've heard, and these were the only set I've ever heard amped and on an active crossover, but I tried to be as honest and accurate as i can, so take that as you will.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.