Best sub for clarity?

PuZo
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Im looking to buy a new sub+amp. I need the sub to have very good clarity, ie being able to hit all the frequencies its suppose to. not looking fro it to be loud, but than again all subs will be loud. I just dont want to hear it sound like crap at higher volumes. my budget is 800-1000 for the sub and the amp, but paying less will obviously be better. Any ideas? Thanks

BTW looking for one 12" sub, but if 2 is *that* much better than I guess I could get 2, but want to stay with 12 if possible.

Once the new Stereo Integrity Mag comes out, it should be exactly what you're looking for. It doesn't want or need a lot of power either. An amp that can do 600 into either 1 or 4 ohms would be perfect. Doesn't need to be anything special. Doable for less than $600 (and that's spending $350 on the amp which is worst case) not including the enclosure.

i will 2nd the IDQ's. they sound great in a sealed box and get decently loud. Box specs and tuning need to not be overlooked as well. this will make a big factor in which sub you want.

If you really want the tightest base though go with a 10 inch the 12s are a bit more sloppy.
The size of the woofer does not dictate the tightness. Do a search on here and you'll see the threads and flames. Do some more research to understand where the tightness comes from and why certain woofers sound "boomy" compared to others. There's a plethora of reasons...and size has nothing to do with it. Here's one of the reasons. But again, do a search!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Your enclosure design will determine how your driver will respond. I recomend a mid level 12" sub design for a small sealed enclosure. This will give you the tight response and blend in well with the rest of your system.

Your enclosure design will determine how your driver will respond. I recomend a mid level 12" sub design for a small sealed enclosure. This will give you the tight response and blend in well with the rest of your system.
I agree with this.

But OT: are there some ways to produce a seemingly tight sounding bass from a ported enclosure?

I agree with what your saying, but im sorry if you listen to a 12 right next to a 10 the 12 is more sloppy then a 10 because its bigger and needs more air to move. If it were not so why would they create different sizes?
I am getting 12s because I prefer the sound of the 12 as to me its a bit deeper overall but if you want to be hit like a truck hit you then 10s are the way to go from what I have heard and we have owned some sick systems over the years soo..

The sub is only as good as it's box.

I agree with what your saying, but im sorry if you listen to a 12 right next to a 10 the 12 is more sloppy then a 10 because its bigger and needs more air to move. If it were not so why would they create different sizes?
I am getting 12s because I prefer the sound of the 12 as to me its a bit deeper overall but if you want to be hit like a truck hit you then 10s are the way to go from what I have heard and we have owned some sick systems over the years soo..
So you are telling a guy that designs subs for a living that you know more than him //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Electrodynamic's knowledge >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> yours.

As for why they creat different sizes, its not for sloppiness, its because not everyone can fit a 12" sub. You can make an 18" that is as tight as a 10" driver, but the 18" will play deeper and louder, but also require a much larger box. If 12" drivers didn't sound as good as 10" why would 12" outsell 10" by a margin of about 2:1 and be most companies flagship SQ driver?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.