Components W/O Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

FullThrottle7
10+ year member

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've searched several times and haven't come up with anything. Its hard to search accurately when you can't use terms under four words like "amp" even with the asterisks. Anyways, I am switching cars and am debating whether to keep my speakers, which are Kicker RS5 components, or sell them along with my other stuff. I am going to get a lot more SPL oriented system next and don't want to have to amp my speakers, just the subs. So... will these speakers sound all right off of the receiver's measly 22 watts RMS (Panasonic CQ-DF783U), or should I sell them and get some coaxles? They are rated at 90 watts RMS, so 22 would be pretty low, but many coaxles are rated that high, too, and seem to do all right off the HU. If possible, I want to keep the components, because my new car already has a tweeter at the front of each door and a midbass in the bottom of each door. It should have great imaging with these speakers, but many people have said that you should have an amp on components. Let me know what you think.

you should have an amp on components. i have these components also and had a period where i was getting my amp fixed and ran the components off the HU. it definantly didnt sound as good as with an amp but it did sound better then stock. i would say keep them even if you cant amp them.

What type of amp did you have on them before you went off the HU for a while? Did the sound quality change when going off the HU, or just the volume? Also, at higher volumes, do these destort like stock speakers, or stay as clear as when they are amped? I have a crap Lanzar Vibe 430, which supposedly puts out about 100 watts RMS per channel, so I have the gains down right now, but the speakers sound great. They are fairly quiet at lower volumes, however, and I am worried that 22 watts RMS won't even get them loud enough to hear in the car.

Keep the kicker speakers, run them with the HU for now till you

get an amp for them, just becareful lower power from Hu can kill

your speakers from distortion it produces on high volume. I know

a guy that had mb quart and ruined them with just powering it

from the HU. Now he went with focals and an amp. Good luck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.