What else do I need for my system?

Participant count
  • Participant list

lohman
10+ year member

Atlanta
I started a thread about a week ago asking about getting a system installed in my 05 Civic. (see thread here)

Many of the responses I saw were to order online and do everything myself, while a few others said to order the parts and have them installed professionally...I like this 2nd idea. I am planning on getting everything replaced and spending between $800-1200; I don't need a lot of volume, but would like good clarity). Here's my questions:

What parts should I order online besides:

-Head Unit

-Speakers (component/coaxial)

-Subwoofer

-Amp (either 2 amps or an amp that can power both speakers and sub separately)

Would the shop have most of the wiring, harnesses, crossovers, enclosures, etc. for a reasonable price? Or should I order some of those parts online? Is there any point in bringing parts to a major retailer such as Best Buy or Circuit City to get them installed, or should I try to find a good local car audio shop?

Thanks for all the advice and help so far! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

OK, I've done a bit of research/shopping around online, and I found some parts that looked good to me. How does this look?

SPR-17S - Alpine Component Speakers in front

SPR-17C - Alpine Coaxial Speakers in back

SWR-1242D - Alpine Type-R 12" Sub

PDX-5 - Alpine 5-channel amp

CDE-9874 - Alpine Head Unit

I chose Alpine because I've heard good things from friends, and have read good reviews online. I liked the PDX-5 because I've read good reviews, and it appears to have everything I want (currently I only want 1 sub - I mostly listen to rock, and don't really listen to rap/hiphop, techno, etc.) Head unit was reviewed well, and it has both an iPod and Aux in (important for me to have both).

Thoughts?

Personally I would split the amp up. Buy a 4-Channel to run the speakers. Then you can buy a good mono block amp to match the sub. I don't know about that particular amp, but usually 5-Channel amps don't push enough power to make a sub sound how you want it. And if you're not happy with the sound at any point in time, you have to replace the whole 5-channel, rather than replacing the cheaper 4-channel, or mono block.

That should be a half descent sounding system. Should be loud enough to make some noise, and sound good enough for most people.

Murray

Yeah, then get some Common and Rakim //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

One thing I forgot to mention previously is that I'm aiming for sound quality over volume.

Personally I would split the amp up. Buy a 4-Channel to run the speakers. Then you can buy a good mono block amp to match the sub. I don't know about that particular amp, but usually 5-Channel amps don't push enough power to make a sub sound how you want it. And if you're not happy with the sound at any point in time, you have to replace the whole 5-channel, rather than replacing the cheaper 4-channel, or mono block.
The reason I liked it was that I don't typically crank the music up *that* loud, so 300rms to the sub seemed perfect for me (300 SHOULD be enough to drive the Type-R, right?). Also saw it recommended in several threads here (and good reviews at Crutchfield).

Yeah, then get some Common and Rakim //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif
I'll be sure to look them up and give a listen when I get my system done //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

So is there anything else that I need? I'm planning to call some of the local audio shops around here and get some installation prices, want to make sure I have everything in order first //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

All your parts for the system seem good, i was thinking on getting Type-R's myself to improve on the Type-E i got now, Alpine makes good quality products.

As far as getting it installed, i had some bad experiences with Best Buy and Ciruit City, so i wouldn't go and get it installed there unless you know the guy that will be installing it for you. They tend to go the cheap/fast way on the installs, and i've seen some shitty jobs done by them, such as drilling through the firewall and leaving the opening without a grommet, then finding water inside the car due to the hole, but that would be a whole new thread.

I would suggest trying to do everything yourself, read up on it and maybe have a friend that knows something about audio installs help you. You could always take the car to have it installed somewhere, but if you don't do it yourself first, you won't know how hard it is to do it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.