DVD player issue....

hollowpoint
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
NJ
So tonight went to watch a DVD, got maybe 10mins in and it froze than went back to the DVD screen(when the tray is open). Went to put it back in and it wont read. Tried to clean it but wont read the cleaning disc as well as a music CD. The other odd thing is if I hit "open" it wont open but instead will say it is than not and you hit it again to close it says it closes but hasnt and will try to re-read the disc. Only way to get the DVD/CD out is to turn it completely off and hit "open". Has this happened to anyone or know which way to head me for answers?

Many thanks!

Sounds like the Samsung up-convert POS I bought once. I exchanged it 3 times and each one did the same thing. It would lock up during a movie and the only way to get it going again was to pull the plug. I got my money back and purchased a "real" dvd player. Oppo DV-981HD;)

2nd the Oppo DVD Player being kick ass...
Except the blue display on the front is hard as hell to read, occasionally when I push the open tray button it doesn't work either...

But other than that is a great player, not sure its worth the money though.

Except the blue display on the front is hard as hell to read, occasionally when I push the open tray button it doesn't work either...
But other than that is a great player, not sure its worth the money though.
I guess to each his own.

I didn't have any issue reading the displays and that ***** that you are having a tray issue. I would email them and see if they can fix it.

As to it being worth the money or not.

My brother recently got a new Pioneer 50" 1080p plasma. (He's a total Bastard) Anyway, we tried out a couple of different DVD Players on the TV. Here is how I would rate them.

1. My Fathers Arcam Diva DV-137 $1990

2. My Pioneer Elite DV-59avi $1000 (Price if it was New)

3. Oppo DV-981HD $229

4. A Phillips DVD Player (Upconverting) $70 ish?

4. A Kenwood DVD Player (NON-Upconverting) $FREE

5. A Phillips DVD Recorder (NON-Upconverting) $???? OLD

Anyway, there was a clear advantage with the Arcam it looked AMAZING. But, my dad wanted it back and it costs nearly $2000. IMO the Oppo blew away the Phillips DVD Player and was pretty close to the quality of the Elite. But, I think the Elite was a little cleaner and more crisp in the picture.

So, IMO it is very worth the money. But, that is just my opinion.

yeahh Ive ruled it was the eye burnt out. Might try replacing depending on the price than when I move get a kick ass home theater set up. On that note, I see Oppo is a good brand? Is there a forum for home theather stuff or a review site and what not?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.