2 Noob Box Questions

Roid_monkey
10+ year member

1) In my other thread i asked about sealing the port, and found out if the rest of the box is sealed you don't have to, but how do you seal (in the port) the wall of the box? Like in what order do you do what to make sure it is good to go (in an l-port box)?

2) Should you pre-drill your screw holes before glueing, or when the glue is drying, or when the glue has dried, and also when do you put the screws in (again, in what order).

Thx in advance and sry for any spelling mistakes its late and i don't want to work tomorrow morning so i'm angry //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

1) In my other thread i asked about sealing the port, and found out if the rest of the box is sealed you don't have to, but how do you seal (in the port) the wall of the box? Like in what order do you do what to make sure it is good to go (in an l-port box)?
Build the bottom and outside walls first, then seal them all then assemble both pieces of the L-port outside the box. Once you have that done put the port into the box. Put the top on last and you can seal the top through the openings for the subs.

2) Should you pre-drill your screw holes before gluing, or when the glue is drying, or when the glue has dried, and also when do you put the screws in (again, in what order).
Thx in advance and sry for any spelling mistakes its late and i don't want to work tomorrow morning so i'm angry //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

Place pieces in position and clamp, pre drill the screw holes. Take the pieces apart and apply plenty of glue, reassemble and screw together immediately

ok thank you. 3 more noob questions

1) Would it be ok to drill small holes to run the wire through (if you sealed it) instead of using terminal cups?

2) Whem mounting the subs and amp on the box, is it ok if the screws you mount them with stick through the mdf?

3)Is it ok to mount the amp on the box?

ok thank you. 3 more noob questions1) Would it be ok to drill small holes to run the wire through (if you sealed it) instead of using terminal cups?

2) Whem mounting the subs and amp on the box, is it ok if the screws you mount them with stick through the mdf?

3)Is it ok to mount the amp on the box?
#1 i ran my wire through the mdf and sealed it:fyi: sounds great

#3 yes...mount your amp to your box with rubber bushings

Rubber bushings make no diff unless you use bolts/locknuts, so the amp is NOT tightened to the box, otherwise the vibrations are still transfered through the mounting points.

But most guys just bolt right to the box with no problems...

Sorry to jack thread, but while you're at it, is it okay to drill the screws holding the sub through the wood?

The sub comes down and covers them up anyway...

A real easy way to build a box is use a brad nailer. Just glue it together, then nail it to hold. Once its all together, go back and put screws in it to really stick it and bring all the wood together for a perfect fit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.