Was this a good decision?

hairbandlover
10+ year member

AC/DC RULES
Well not only did my sub die, one of the tweets in my CDT CL-62 died as well. I priced out a CDT replacement 3/4" at $155.00 plus shipping. I only paid $150.00 for the set of comp. So I opted for a set of Memphis 15-MT1A 1" tweets for $113.00 installed. They sound a bit tinny but very crisp. I may just need to adjust the EQ some more not sure. So let me know what you think should I have waited or was this a good purchase?

HU- Alpine CDA-9831

Sub-RE Audio-RE12”

Amps- Alpine MRV-F450 & MRD-M301

Speakers- CDT CL-62, 2 way comp. & CL-6 Midrange

Vehicle- 2004 Toyota Rav 4

Sounds ODD to me that you're blowing things up!! Subs don't just die and tweets don't just pop!! I think that the install needs to be considered as a possible fault. I've had so many speakers over the last 20 yrs and never blew one. Please check all wiring and x-overs. If it were me, I'd re-wire everything from scratch if I didn't install it in the 1st place.

The system was installed over 3 yrs ago and I had no trouble up to this point. The sub lasted me for almost 5 yrs and I definately abused it. I over abused it last week I turned the gain up for a new CD and forgot to turn it back down before cranking a different cd. The cone seperated on the inside. I was shocked on the tweet going no reason for that the amp was designed and set for those comps. As far as mixing the new tweets they have there own crossover and the midrange are still using the exsisting crossover. Acording to the installer this is common practice in the industry. I questioned it though. I just hope I didnt get taken for a ride. Thanks again for the input!!

The only thing is the tweet might use a different x-o point. Lets just say your old comps were; mid 80-3000htz, tweet3000-20k, if your new tweet is x-o at a higher point...say 4k, there will be gap and you'll loose a bit. If the x-o point is lower...say 2k, then both speakers are playing the same frequencies between 2k and 3k which may sound bad. So check up on the x-o points and let us know what ya have.

Well as I understand it going from 3/4" to a 1" tweet that I am overlapping and will actually get more sound. The installer also said by running the memphis crossover the points are preset and there should be no problem. CDT says there crossover pt is 4200 hz I am still waiting for Memphis to respond as to there point. So I think I am all good at least I hope so.

My alpine has a sub control 0-12 some CD's dont have alot of bass some do I usually keep it around 7 well for that cd I bumed it up to 11 and for got to turn it back before playing a real bass killer. I am not sure it caused the sub to seperate internally, it just happened soon after that. I really beat that sub hard it may have just been used up. I shouldnt have that problem anymore the new RS series I ordered can take all the amp I have!

HU- Alpine CDA-9831

Sub-RE Audio-RE12”

My alpine has a sub control 0-12 some CD's dont have alot of bass some do I usually keep it around 7 well for that cd I bumed it up to 11 and for got to turn it back before playing a real bass killer. I am not sure it caused the sub to seperate internally, it just happened soon after that. I really beat that sub hard it may have just been used up. I shouldnt have that problem anymore the new RS series I ordered can take all the amp I have!
HU- Alpine CDA-9831

Sub-RE Audio-RE12”

remember, an amp has limits. Go past the limits and you'll send a square wave to the woofer/speaker(clipping) and that aint pretty! if you hear a bad sound from the speaker then remember how loud it was and Never go that loud again!! Its much better to have more amp(headroom) than more speaker.

I dont know where the installer set the amp at, other than it wasnt at full throttle because the RE series can only handle Thermal Power Handling -Pe: 175 W and the amp is rated at RMS Power at 2 Ohms 350 W x 1 so anway the installer set the amp and said you also have a control on your head unit 0-12 for more bass at a lower volume. Per Alpine: Bass Engine Plus (bass center frequency, width, and level, plus treble center frequency and level adjustments, as well as 4-channel digital time alignment and a 3-position, 12dB/octave crossover, subwoofer level and phase control)

So anyway thats what I know which isnt much this HU is complicated.

I dont know where the installer set the amp at, other than it wasnt at full throttle because the RE series can only handle Thermal Power Handling -Pe: 175 W and the amp is rated at RMS Power at 2 Ohms 350 W x 1 so anway the installer set the amp and said you also have a control on your head unit 0-12 for more bass at a lower volume. Per Alpine: Bass Engine Plus (bass center frequency, width, and level, plus treble center frequency and level adjustments, as well as 4-channel digital time alignment and a 3-position, 12dB/octave crossover, subwoofer level and phase control)
So anyway thats what I know which isnt much this HU is complicated.
When setting amp gains, set the HU sub boost to MAX (+12). This will ensure that you'll never clip the signal when running full tilt.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.