How can I boost my mid-bass output?

94Mazda626
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I've got a set of Alpine Type-X SPX-177R 6.5" comps on a Kicker SX600.2 and I am finding the midbass a little weak. I had asked the place that installed them to seal and deaden the doors but I'm not 100% sure they did that. I'll have the car up here at work with me next month and plan to pull the door panels and check. One of the things I had liked about these speakers was if I did find them a bit lacking I could pick up a set of the SPX-177MB mid add-ons. Well, now that they've discontinued these I can't seem to find these anymore //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

If the Doors aren't sealed will doing that substantially improve it? Also speaking of deadening the doors, I'm not having any issues with rattles on the outside of the panel. If I do end up deadening them is there much point in going through the hassle of trying to do the inside of the outer panel ( does that make sense?) or can I get away with just sealing them up then deadening?

If anyone can point me to a place that may still have the mid add-ons, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks Guys

Sealing the doors will make a difference, but I was looking at getting the SPX-107r's (4") a while back, and found reveiws saying that that particular Type X component had clear sound but was lacking midbass. Your doors may be sealed and deadened already, so that may be the best you can get based on the reviews I read.

If you have the room and the money, go with Scan Speak Revelators, those are the mids from the F1 status set. I've heard them and they are simply amazing. Sealing the doors will make a night and day difference as mentioned. Also, it really doesn't matter if your doors rattle or not. The purpose of deadening the doors goes beyond rattes. What deadener does is add wait, so that is why rattles decrease. What you will also reduce is road noise.

You'll need to do 2 things:

1. First and foremost, ensure that the doors are adequately sealed and deadened.

2. If they still aren't giving you adequate midbass, then send more power to the mids than the ~140w rms the SX600.2 is capable of to make them wake up a bit. 175-250w rms should make a difference (I'd recommend biamping or going active if going this route, although I doubt the xovers would become saturated or the tweeters stressed if you don't).

3. And if they still don't satisfy, then it's time for new comps, as the 177R mids can be a bit lacking in aggression (although it's hard to find a boxed comp set that'll match their SQ for the price range).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.