Fiberglass introduction

terra
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Yes
Ive been inspired to try making a fiberglass box. so im making one around 2.5 cu ft at 32hz. i just wanted to make sure im set before i start buying and constructing.

so 1. i need fiberglass mat which is the actual fabric of the fiberglass construct?

2. Resin and hardener? mix the 2 like in bondo and paint it onto the mat until clear to form a hard surface. 3. whats a good material for stretching over the frame?

4. whats the best way to make the cutouts? i have no access to a router for 2 weeks so could a compass and a steady jigsaw hand make do?

and lastly does anyone have any really creative ideas in terms of design? im struggling.

thanks

1. yes you'll need fiberglass mat

2. yes get resin and hardener and mix as per instructions. I suggest doing like half a quart mixing at a time until you get used to the kicking times. If you mix a lot at once you might use half of it before the rest hardens up. Apply with a brush, brush resin on surface first then tear up the mat and put it on and apply more resin.

3. Fleece is good to stretch over the frame, held on by staples or glue gun.

4. Best way is a router with a some kind of jig. But jig saw will do if you have a steady hand.

as for designs, look some pictures up on google or around the forums. good luck!

1. yes you'll need fiberglass mat2. yes get resin and hardener and mix as per instructions. I suggest doing like half a quart mixing at a time until you get used to the kicking times. If you mix a lot at once you might use half of it before the rest hardens up. Apply with a brush, brush resin on surface first then tear up the mat and put it on and apply more resin.

3. Fleece is good to stretch over the frame, held on by staples or glue gun.

4. Best way is a router with a some kind of jig. But jig saw will do if you have a steady hand.

as for designs, look some pictures up on google or around the forums. good luck!
thanks man! only thing is..when i think of fleece i think of north face jackets, which arent stretchy. can anyone link me to an example?

1999 bmw 740i

i would do 2 12"s ported facing back but i really hate trunk rattle so i was thinking of doing 2 facing the seats with the ports in the middle facing the ski hatch..

any input?

unfortunately i dont have my digital working. its your standard big trunk car. nothing special. i need 4 cu ft net at 31hz. however i cant decide how to face it and any design i want.

ya its gonna be as wide as the trunk is and have the 2 subs on the sides and the amp in between. curvy yes and painted. however if i face the seats i lose the aesthetic appeal. and i cant think of anything nice to do on the trunk side that would look good. so im torn.

well its a big trunk so 4 cu ft shouldnt take up more than half. i want to be able to throw stuff in there but just like a backpack or a keg. im down to do something creative if i have suggestions though/.

the design Im thinking of kinda limits some areas. You could fit a bookbag and all, but im not so sure about a keg. I was kinda thinking about doing 2 seperate boxes, on the left and right sides of the trunk (where I think BMW has small storage slots) and then an amp rack set back into the trunk (near the back of the seats). You wont be able to fit anything huge, but should still have access to the spare tire and all of that. It would look pretty **** good, show off your work and all while still maximizing the given area. Throw in a few neon strips and your good to go.I s it convertible or sedan?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.