Tc3000 > Btl??

Astyl
10+ year member

Car Audio Enthusiast
Bedford, NH
Alright so basically i expressed interest lately in going more of a SQL route with my Bass, because the BTL is honestly pretty sloppy when it comes right down to it. I asked around about people interested in a BTL and someone has offered me there 15" TC-3000 for my 15" Loaded BTL

Bascally what im wondering is if this is a reasonable trade? Im pretty surethat the TC3K would have exeptional Sound Quality and still get loud as hell to an extent. Im not really looking to get out of the pure SPL game, i just want something that has a little more SQ too it. and ive heard that the 3Ks have great SQ / absolutely redicilous Low End ( FS of 16hz ) and get pretty loud even in sealed boxes

would this be a good tradeoff? Originally i was looking for something like a Mag because ive heard that they are all around one of the best woofers out, but someone offered me a 15" TC 3K for my BTL, would it still get loud and have great SQ?

Also i still have my 3K Watt MTX Amp, so powering the TC would be no problem at all, ide just turn the gain down to appropriate levels and have a ton of headroom

id just hammer some 05 xxx's in there...should give you that ridiculous low end you want //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

It will sound completely different. Just an //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Two COMPLETELY and UTTERLY different subwoofers.

I wouldn't get the TC 3k... I'd look into something like an IA DP, Fi Q (pair?), Sundown Nightshade... etc...

nG

ten years later and i'm in this same boat. I have a btl ufo style loaded 15 and am considering getting a TC 3k 15 or 2 12's in search of some better sq although the btl doesn't sound bad to me i just saw how cheap the TC 3k's are going for and want to see if i can do better without losing any output. I have an Orion 5k for power but its at 4 ohm now. Am i gonna miss output from the btl?

Interesting, I feel we should have addressed the enclosure the BTL was in.
Finally someone that actually made a fking sensible comment. 

If he's looking for bloated low whale notes, thats not sound quality he just wants a wind tunnel which requires enclosure work and design along with cabin acoustic manipulation(deadening bracing) 

If he's looking for actual sound quality, make a more balanced enclosure that gives the flattest linear response and bandwidth with good group delay which means you need to factor in the cabin gain and acoustics as well. Power up the midbass and turn down the sub till it blends with the midbass.  Thats a bit more in line of what actual SQ is. Subwoofers are generally not sloppy, the enclosures you put them in the overall alignment is what makes them sloppy.

Finally someone that actually made a fking sensible comment. 

If he's looking for bloated low whale notes, thats not sound quality he just wants a wind tunnel which requires enclosure work and design along with cabin acoustic manipulation(deadening bracing) 

If he's looking for actual sound quality, make a more balanced enclosure that gives the flattest linear response and bandwidth with good group delay which means you need to factor in the cabin gain and acoustics as well. Power up the midbass and turn down the sub till it blends with the midbass.  Thats a bit more in line of what actual SQ is. Subwoofers are generally not sloppy, the enclosures you put them in the overall alignment is what makes them sloppy.
Here is a concise whale note:

il_570xN.816171646_bv3s.jpg

Interesting, I feel we should have addressed the enclosure the BTL was in.
110%! It must have been in a trash box. I actually like how my btl sounds but would always appreciate some more low end lol.

Mines in a 3/4" pine plywood box, 4 or 4.5 cubes (cant remember off hand) at ~30hz. Single baffle but braced from top to bottom and the sub is practically screwed into the rear panel of the box  because it so close to it. Its sturdy af. Sub fires up, slot port opening runs along the bottom and fires back to the rear bumber. The slot port is approximately 2x30 with a 3/4" divider in the middle mostly to serve as a brace. The length of the port comes out right at the corner so the corner is adding a bit of port length too but there is no price corresponding to the second port piece in the RE box calculator to actually make the bend. Of course it's rather a moot point because I'd build a new box of it matters in a second.

Considering the price on the tc3k I figurd this was worth reinvestigating. I remember when I was running 2 12s that I wanted them really bad but they were over $400 each from what recall. There are certainly pros to running a single 15. But I find more versatility with 2 12s in terms of not needing a 16inch tall box to fire them horizontally so I would still consider that option despite the obvious cost difference.

Are the TCs just low end monsters and roll off over 50hz or something? I

Are the TCs just low end monsters and roll off over 50hz or something?
No.  They actually had a genius engineer behind them.  About the only thing you lose is power handling.  The 3" 8 layer in the 3hp motor is pretty thin and those embedded tinsels are prone to failure @3000-3500W.   Purely anecdotally I was a lot more impressed with the 3hp subs I've played with than the old ceramic BTLs.   Also as you say, if 2 12s gives you more options for box building/position that's probably even better incentive to mix it up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.