Does anyone still run coaxials?

slim j
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ca.com
My friend wants to improve the sound to his GMC Sonoma but doesn't want any componet sets even though I tried to tell him they were better. So I am looking into some non-junk coaxials for his ride. They are 6.5s in the doors and 4x6s in the dash. I am thinking of getting him to get some 6.5s and for the dash.

What are some pretty good brands of coaxials? Rather shallow mounting depth of ~2". His budget is about $400 for both sets. RMS is 75w with an external amp. He listens to a variety of music.

I run a set of pg rsd coaxials in my rear doors. you can get them for like 60 or so shipped off ebay. I believe they are rated at like 70 watts rms but i give em 120 watts each and they sound pretty good for coaxial's.

Are they shallow?

Thanks I will check them out.

Does it matter if all the coaxials are the same brand/series?

It may be a little pricey, but check out the Morel Integra Ovation. Maybe just get the 6" for the doors now and the other later. They are about 2.5" deep IIRC. I considered them for my install.

I bet critical mass, or maybe Hertz may have some shallow 6.5" coaxials...as they have a lot of neo products.

If you have install issues, try to looks for speakers with depths shallower than 2.25".

Im currently running a set of Rockford Fosgate T162C 6.5 coax in my front doors. RMS is 75, but im giving them 100w from a Orion 4002.

Very loud coax and sound pretty good, for coax at least. But its only temp while I get the money together for my active front stage. Only problem is that they are 2.5 mounting depth, which may not work for you.

You could check and see if they offer the Pioneer Revs in a shallow but im not sure, their very good coax as well.

I think he is looking for something slightly better than stock....but I'll point him in the direction mentioned. Thanks for your help.

If they ain't trying to deviate much from stock, perhaps they would be interested in a Q-form. From my understanding, they fit pretty good and if you line them with clay, work out pretty well. Depth would be an issue then.

So he's going through all the trouble of replacing both sets of coaxials? Tell him that he's doing exactly as much work as installing a set of components is going to take, and getting worse results for it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So he's going through all the trouble of replacing both sets of coaxials? Tell him that he's doing exactly as much work as installing a set of components is going to take, and getting worse results for it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Thats what i was thinking. HaHa

I mentioned the q-forms and he kinda likes that idea because they blend well with the interior he has now. Plus, it allows a componet set pretty easy.

and flip meant to say that depth wouldnt be an issue.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I do. Have never had a competition SQ set-up where seperates were needed. For my everyday enjoyment, coaxials meet my tastes just fine. I've had the JL VR and now C5's. Very satisfied with both

I do. Have never had a competition SQ set-up where seperates were needed. For my everyday enjoyment, coaxials meet my tastes just fine. I've had the JL VR and now C5's. Very satisfied with both
I know, I remember when I thought my kicker impulse 5.25 coaxs sounded great. Nowadays, I am trying to put dual component sets in my work truck for front stage. Haha once the sq bugs get you your done. Might as well come over to the dark side now:evil:

I run coaxials.

I have a set of Rainbow SLCs, Next Audio comps, and even Aura comps - yet my car has $20 ebay MTX coaxes in the doors. They're running off the HU. Terrible. Anyone who's tried it knows the no matter what you do, you just don't make an SQ winner out of an early 90s Ford Taurus.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.