how do i do this in sketchup?

Participant count
  • Participants list

IgnoreMe
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com VIP
caraudio.com
two quesions

1) so how exactly do i get from (talking about the top piece of the box)

untitled-2.png

to

jesse59672.jpg

???

i would think its just, make a rectangle on the top of the box and use the push/pull tool. but when i do it, the rectangle only applies to the internal parts of the box, and it pulls them up and out of the box, while the port sits there and basically makes a huge channel in my rectangle. not sure if you guys understand me of not.

2) how come, even though my walls are all perfect as far as dimensions go, but when i measure the width of the port, its 1/16" short? i mean, i didnt know a 27.5" piece on a 31.5" internal volume box created a 3 15/16" port width...

here, a better example of what im talking about. BTW, somehow the port now reads 4" wide //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

untitled2.png

leads to

untitled23.png

Yup yup yup. In SketchUp 4 and lower, you would be able to just draw a rectangle and be done with it. Now, however, the way I do it is this:

1. Make sure that EVERY panel is independent as though it were actually made of wood (on yours, you need a line along the bottom of the front baffle, and one on the left side of the baffle (if the face is inset)).

2. Go to the top open corners of the box (the four widest points), select the point, and draw a line vertically .75" or however thick the material is that you're using.

3. Connect every one of the little sticks to one another (connect bottom left to top left, top left to top right, etc until you reach the beginning).

4. It should now be closed. If you need another panel (aka double baffle), just do the process again, or pull it the height you need up and draw in your dividing line.

Yup yup yup. In SketchUp 4 and lower, you would be able to just draw a rectangle and be done with it. Now, however, the way I do it is this:
1. Make sure that EVERY panel is independent as though it were actually made of wood (on yours, you need a line along the bottom of the front baffle, and one on the left side of the baffle (if the face is inset)).

2. Go to the top open corners of the box (the four widest points), select the point, and draw a line vertically .75" or however thick the material is that you're using.

3. Connect every one of the little sticks to one another (connect bottom left to top left, top left to top right, etc until you reach the beginning).

4. It should now be closed. If you need another panel (aka double baffle), just do the process again, or pull it the height you need up and draw in your dividing line.
ok i just got it about 30 secs ago, doing it my own way. but i think im gonna try your way for efficiency, because my way just took me a long ass time (maybe cause its my first time doing sketchup?)

i had to make a seperate panel, select the whole panel using the shift key and selecting all the sides and lines of the top baffle, then using the moving tool and moving it on top of the box and centering it. pretty much a PITA. your way sounds a lot easier.

i was just about to ask how to make a sub cutout, but i just figured it out. i think i just need to learn the concept of the tools provided. like i was trying to find out how to cut the circle piece out so you can see inside the box...well you dont cut it out, you just un-push/pull it, so basically the inner circle doesnt exist anymore lol. ive never used this type of software before so this is all new to me.

thanks man!

edit: and yea, im gonna try your way on making seperate panels. i was wondering why it looked seamless lol

Sketchup starts a little difficult but then once you figure it out, it's pretty simple and fast.

Wait until you try to start using the "follow me" tool. I was trying to make a round over corner meet with it and it pissed me off to no end. It took me about an hour to get a single corner and about 20 minutes each additional corner. Even though I knew how to do it, it wasn't working correctly for me at all.

Maybe somebody knows a better way of getting a rounded over corner look like on the grill in this drawing?

6o12t6f.png

Sketchup starts a little difficult but then once you figure it out, it's pretty simple and fast.
Wait until you try to start using the "follow me" tool. I was trying to make a round over corner meet with it and it pissed me off to no end. It took me about an hour to get a single corner and about 20 minutes each additional corner. Even though I knew how to do it, it wasn't working correctly for me at all.

Maybe somebody knows a better way of getting a rounded over corner look like on the grill in this drawing?

6o12t6f.png
i dont even want to attempt it lol. i just started using sketchup at like 3 am today lol. i just learned that you can select a whole panel by dragging the select courser...instead of clicking on every little panel and line on the wall like i was doing before //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif. thats how it works in other programs, dont know why i didnt think of it and wasted my time

Imma, I just make arcs within panels and push pull as I see fit.
I did that, but it's the corners that give me trouble. When they intersect, it doesn't fit naturally. I tried using the intersect tool and it ****ed it up even further.

Here is the sketchup file of the image I posted above. One corner is done so you can see what I was trying to do and another corner was started (I basically deleted what I had finished and drew that in real fast).

http://files.filefront.com/cornerskp/;9311664;/fileinfo.html

Take a look at it and let me know if there is an easier way to do it other than using the follow me tool as it's a ***** to get right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

IgnoreMe

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com VIP
IgnoreMe
caraudio.com
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date