How much would this custom enclosure cost from a shop by you? (pics)

jibberjive
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
SLC, UT
So if you were to have a shop by you custom build this box for you, how much do you think they would charge? A few details about the box: it has a double layer baffel, .75'' MDF used, swappable port system (one for tuning to 50-ish hz and DD port at 32hz), 3.5-4ft^3, incredible attention to detail (ports have 45degree elbow to reduce turbulence, ALL edges rounded, quality bolt terminals, every possible seam caulked, dowel bracing as well as a brace to help hold the weight of the port, etc). Thanks!

Sorry for the big pics

dscn2204.jpg

dscn2200.jpg

dscn2203.jpg

dscn2228.jpg

Why did you post this twice. 1 section, not all, mmmkay.
Not all, just two:) This is more along the lines of this section as it is an enclosure build thread, but look where I got the most helpful responses;) That's why I posted it in both. and PV audio, that's the whole point, I did build this myself to my own specs, but as far as it being to your own specs, that's why I said custom. How much would this cost to be built to your own specs from a shop (not yourself)?

Not all, just two:) This is more along the lines of this section as it is an enclosure build thread, but look where I got the most helpful responses;) That's why I posted it in both. and PV audio, that's the whole point, I did build this myself to my own specs, but as far as it being to your own specs, that's why I said custom. How much would this cost to be built to your own specs from a shop (not yourself)?
why do you care? selling it?

why do you care? selling it?
Possibly selling it (don't necessarily want to but it's huge and I want to possibly try with fiberglass), but to a buddy so I don't want to rip him off. I don't want to rip myself off either though cause this box actually took me a long time to build and was quite a pain. Just trying to get some real world figures:)

lol i went to a car audio place here and i asked about a box for my dd9515, and they quoted me at $500. They tried to tell me the cost alone on the materials was about $150.

so i'm sure u could get a good penny outta that box

id say that type of box looks very nice btw, im guessing a good price selling to a friend would be 175 - 200 but i bet u could sell it for 250

I think it looks nice.. I'm thinking 150 or so would be a great price for a friend.. worth a lot IMO for anyone, being its a nice box, but hook your buddy up..

Andrew

lol i went to a car audio place here and i asked about a box for my dd9515, and they quoted me at $500. They tried to tell me the cost alone on the materials was about $150.
so i'm sure u could get a good penny outta that box
jesus christ man!

seeing they used a nail gun and couldnt get the nails in correctly i would say its not a good box. i started to use a nail gun a for awhile on my tester box's, but it doesnt make a good tight seal. and i absolutely hate the idea of a removable port. spl box's and daily driver box's are much different than just tuning. in some case's tuning +/- 10hz will only yield .1 db difference. fisher customs would have been much better.

seeing they used a nail gun and couldnt get the nails in correctly i would say its not a good box. i started to use a nail gun a for awhile on my tester box's, but it doesnt make a good tight seal. and i absolutely hate the idea of a removable port. spl box's and daily driver box's are much different than just tuning. in some case's tuning +/- 10hz will only yield .1 db difference. fisher customs would have been much better.
The purpose of using a brad nailer is to hold the wood together until the glue dries. I hope you used wood glue on the tester boxes. If they were comming apart, you didn't use enough glue.

The purpose of using a brad nailer is to hold the wood together until the glue dries. I hope you used wood glue on the tester boxes. If they were comming apart, you didn't use enough glue.
but how do you clamp the pieces together while nailing them?

you can shoot a nail through your arm and into a wall, but your arm wont actually be nailed to the wall...

*dont try this

realistically, you're selling a second hand box, it appears to have about $80 worth of materials maybe, so its probably worth $100...

I normally sell second hand boxes for the cost of materials, or less... you haven't custom made this box for someone, you made it for yourself, and are now selling it second hand.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.