Window tinting

DubbDesigns
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
KY
I am going in the morning to the local window tinting place. I want dark tint but not quite limo tint. I want tint dark enough to where its kinda hard to see in but not quite impossible. What % would you recommend and what brand tint should I ask for. Also what is about the average cost to get old tint removed and new tint installed.

I think my cousin went to the place I am going and they charged him $150. He got limo tint and it was really dark tint. They had to remove the old tint as well. They seem to have done a pretty good job.

coincidence. I'm going to get my truck tinted this week...but I already took off the old tint and cleaned everything up myself. I am also curious what brand you guys know are good?

whats legal there, i think here legal requiremnts are 30% in front and 20% in back. Id say 20 is good enough
Yeah, for what he wants 20 or 15% would be good... just depends on how the cops in the area... around here they arent bad at all. Had 10% on my nissan and im dropping to 5% on my taco.

Cops here arent bad at all, they dont bust you for petty stuff like tint or street legal stuff. Very rarely do they pull people over for blown headlights. I have even seen cars with strobe lights flashing inside and outside the car drive by cops with out being pulled over. so iam not too worried about getting pulled over for tint. I think whats legal around here is around 30% on front. But I hate having uneven tint so iam going the same all around. Iam thinking about 20%

Cops here arent bad at all, they dont bust you for petty stuff like tint or street legal stuff. Very rarely do they pull people over for blown headlights. I have even seen cars with strobe lights flashing inside and outside the car drive by cops with out being pulled over. so iam not too worried about getting pulled over for tint. I think whats legal around here is around 30% on front. But I hate having uneven tint so iam going the same all around. Iam thinking about 20%
good choice... problem is the darker it is the harder it is to see out your windows at night lol. my street is dark so that can be a problem driving home from work at night.

I have 5% on my rear windows and 20% up front. It looks good from the outside, but it was hard to see at night, and almost impossible too see while in reverse. I got this done for $80. My co-worker's family owns the tint shop. BTW, I have never recieved a ticket for illegal tint. 27.5% is the legal limit here.

I had 5% on my rear windows and 20% up front. It looks good from the outside, but it was hard to see at night, and almost impossible too see whilein reverse.
yeah my friend has 5% on all but is windshield, at night u cant see out them at all, except maybe a stoplight. im gettin 15% all the way around this weekend.

good choice... problem is the darker it is the harder it is to see out your windows at night lol. my street is dark so that can be a problem driving home from work at night.
That was a concern for me before thats why iam doing it now. I just got a new job at ACS and its first shift opposed to my old job at pizza hut delivering pizzas at night. I delivered way out in the country and didnt want too dark of tint since I had to back out of some difficult places. Now I just drive to work in the morning, my road is pretty small and is dark at night, but I dont drive it much at night. I am moving into an apartment in town here in about a month so that will be even better.

Look at cars he is doing or has done and judge the tint from that,

the only things I would recommend

1) only use fully metalized tint

2) have all windows done in one piece, make sure tint goes all the way to the edge and below the rubber

3)find somebody that will warranty there work, as a good tint job should not be encountering problems

4) find someone that WONT go beyond the legal limit, as the places that will break the law (even though it is a minor law) are probably not the people that will stand behind there work.

5)And last but not least look at there shop, this should be done INSIDE a SHOP, it should NOT be dirty or dusty and the tools and materieals should not be laying around.

Look at cars he is doing or has done and judge the tint from that, the only things I would recommend

1) only use fully metalized tine

2) have all windows done in one piece, make sure tint goes all the way to the edge and below the rubber

3)find somebody that will warranty there work, as a good tint job should not be encountering problems

4) find someone that WONT go beyond the legal limit, as the places that will break the law (even though it is a minor law) are probably not the people that will stand behind there work.

5)And last but not least look at there shop, this should be done INSIDE a SHOP, it should NOT be dirty or dusty and the tools and materieals should not be laying around.
no prob here... local place I use tints the cop cars....the police station is (literally) right across the street, cops get new cars...they just drive about 30 feet to get tinted hahaha.

imo...5% isnt that hard to see out of at nite.

have it all the way around and i think it is just rite.

but if i was u i would pry go with 15% just cuz in the counrty there is no street lights, so 15 would be the best.

I've got 20% fully metalized film and it's about perfect for me. I was kind of torn between that and 14% (SunGard Endurance film), but decided 20% was good enough.

Like was already mentioned, try to see some examples or vehicles that are tinted and go with what you like best. Fully metalized is not a bad idea at all, as almost all of them carry a lifetime warranty against peeling, cracking, bubbling, fading, and discoloring.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.