6x8 Replacements in Mazda6

cgraz1187
10+ year member

I have an 07 mazda6... The factory stereo is horrible, being that the speakers distort badly at high volum and have almsot no bass. I want to replace all 4 speakers 6x8, and maybe replace the front tweeters. Im on a tight budget. I can get them from my auto distributor which is cheaper than any online site.

The brands I can choose from are:

Rockford

Kicker

Clif Designs

Infinity

Eclipse

Hifonics

MB Court

Autotek

Ma Audio

Pioneer

Sony

And a few others

What would you reccomend would sound best without adding an amp.

I may add an amp, but if I do I need one with high leverl inputs so I dont have to use a converter or aftermarket headunit.

MB Quarts FTW

I would try and do a 6.5 comp set tho, make a baffle(speaker ring) so the 6.5 can fit!

And I would amp your speakers, even if its a smaller amp, its better than HU power!!

If you can get the new Eclipse components with the glass cones... I think the model is sc6900

But a cheaper coax and amp will probably sound better than comps off radio power. The power amp helps extend frequency response and dynamic range which are both important elements of SQ.

Well, when I was auditioning speakers for my Ford Explorer about a year ago, I listened to MB Quart low level and mid level (reference series), Kicker, Polk DB, Alpine Type S, Boston SX and SL series. I personally liked Boston SX series, and MB Quart reference series. I ended up buying Rainbow SL 5x7, and glad that I did. Very nice speakers. I have heard and read good things about Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS. you could make or buy a speaker adapter to make them fit in your stock location. I agree that a separate stereo amp will make a huge difference if you budget allows. You should be able to audition several of your choices at your local BB or CC or local stereo shops. I would figure out what sounds best to you. Hope this helps.

Nathan

I can get 6x8 MB Quart discus DKG168.... for under $80 pair. Running these of headunit power will they sound much better than my stock paper cones, also since there is already a stock tweet in the pillars, should I go 2 way, 3 way or 4way?

Get comps and an amp for the front, get some coaxs for the rear powered off the HU.

Also check out the Rockford T1682S comps. (hint: see Gary S's sig for details! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif )

I think I am going to buy the 6x8 to 5.25 adaptor since it is only $6 and then go with either the mb quart discus or infinity reference 5.25 components in the front, and 6x8 in the rear. Being that I can mount the 1" tweeter in the stock location.

Sound good?

From your list, for the 5.25" comps at a reasonable cost with good sound quality, I'd go with one of these:

Rockford - "T" series

Infinity - Kappa

MB Quart - PCE213

Pioneer - Rev

- And Pioneer Rev 6X8's for the rear.

I noticed later in the thread you mentioned you can get Oz vector... go with those for 5.25", I'm sure they would be around $100 or less. They are excellent for the money.

I can get the oz audio vectors for around $50.... so they seem the best for the price.

Also, do you think i should go with 6x8 coax in the rear doors or use a 5.25 coax

I can get the oz audio vectors for around $50.... so they seem the best for the price.
Also, do you think i should go with 6x8 coax in the rear doors or use a 5.25 coax

Okay, what will your system be comprised of... amp(s) and four after market speakers, no sub, right?

If so, with 5.25 comps in front, most of your bass will be coming from the rear doors, and the rears may be louder. If you go with all 5.25" and no subwoofer, you will have very little bass, and may end up disappointed

As I think about it more, without a subwoofer, I think I would want 6X8's all the way around for efficiency/bass. See how much 6X8 components up front and 6X8 coax in the back would cost. Just get some cheap ones for the back, they will be mostly to add bass.

You could always go all the way and scrap the rear speakers altogether and instead get a box and a single 10" or 12" subwoofer for the rear hatch area... might not cost any more than 6X8's in the rear, and you could run all that off the smallest 4-channel amplifier. That would be the best overall sound quality for the buck. Just letting you know what can be done.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.