check my box design (10" RE SE)

mustangowner
10+ year member

still wangin'
Shelby,AL
Finally decided to lose some weight in my trunk and go with one 10 instead of two. I am gonna use a 10" RE SE in a ported box...1 cube @ 35 hz (recommended compact box off RE's website) I used this box calculator to design the box.

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp

I need to know if i will have any port noise, and any problems with the end opening on the port next to the sub hole.

thanks

boxlayoutts3.jpg

How about this box? same dimensions port area, and tuning, but its 1.7 cubes and doesnt have 180* port angles. I would get a second opinion on this before you build it though....

box.jpg

1.5 cubes tuned to 33hz with 30 square inches of port should be nice80
I got bored this afternoon, and decided to design this box. I used the sticky in this part of the forum on how to design a ported box. I went step by step with the instructions given....somehow i think my net volume is off, but i may be calculating it wrong.

Could someone help me out? box is designed to be 1.5 cubes @ 33 hz...port length should be 46.14"...sub displacement is .15 cubes....port displacement is 1.02 cubes...

1533hzzq6.jpg

thanks guys...

bump....can someone please check and see how many cubes the sub will see, using the last posted image? i keep getting around 1.2 for some reason, it should be 1.5...

thanks

if i did the math right, it looks like your sub will be in 1.09 cubes.
thanks for the reply...i didnt thank anyone was gonna help me out!!!

heres how i came up with my port lenth and box dimensions....

my answers are in parentheses, and highlighted in red

1. Figure desired NET volume, port area, and tuning. (1.5 net, 30.875, 33hz)

2. Write down max, or desired Width x Height x Depth. (32x11x?16?)

3. Pick the dimension of 2 sides you want, and leave the third side as a variable. (s) Multiply the two sides together and write this off to the side. (32x11=352)

4. Open WinISD, and pick an arbitrary driver. Continue to ported. (i used jl's 10w6)

5. Type in your desired box volume, this is the NET Volume, as well as desired tuning. (1.5 cubes)

6. Go to vent tab, click on the circle symbol to change it to a square. (this is for slot port). Type in desired port dimensions (for desired port area). It will give you the needed port length. Write this down.

(3.25 x 9.5 = port length of 46.13 with one flanged end, end correction factor)

7. This is where simple algebra comes in. Take the port width and add .75" to it for the port wall. Now find out the volume of the port. Do this by multiplying: (Width(+.75) * Height * Length) / 1728 | This is your port displacement. Write this down. (4x9.5x46.13/1728=1.014 port displacement)

8. Take your NET volume, add port displacement, add sub displacement, add any other displacements (bracing, etc.) This is you internal GROSS volume. This is how big the box needs to be internally for correct NET volume and tuning. Write this down.

(1.5 net + 1.014 port displacement + .15 sub displacement= 2.664 gross volume)

9. More Algebra. You will be solving the following algrebraic equation for (s), this will give you the internal dimension of the last side (the variable you chose.) Actually, here is the equation solved for (s).

Equation:

S = (GrossVolume * 1728) / (Product of remaining two sides)

S = (2.664 * 1728) / 352

S = 4603.392/352

S = 13.078 internal length of last side which is 14.578

so i made the box 32x11x14.6, and i put the port in using the length winisd gave me.

Is this correct or am i missing something???

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.