Project: Practice door pods

IamDeMan
5,000+ posts

Banned
/dev/null
Well I like the idea of door pods. I had kick panels in my GTO and have decided that while that is a nice location, they end up in the way and get scuffed. Not to mention you are limited on space to get volume for decent midbass. So I decided to try my hand at building door pods. Before doing it to my nice car I buy later in the year I decided to do a practice run of it on my newly obtained work car.

The victim is a 97 cavalier. Got this basic transporation for a steal. It had 50k on the odo and was owned my an old man who had no business driving anymore. It was paerked under a car port for most of it's life. A few small dings here and there but no sunfading and it drove like new. I picked it up for $1800. Couldn't pass up that deal.

So I started by cutting up the door panel where I plan on having my speakers mounted. Then put down some tape on the door behind the panel and put down 2 layers to start the mold. Here is where I am at. Waiting for this to fully cure so I can remove the door panels and finsih building them up.

doorpods005tq0.jpg

doorpods006oz7.jpg

Interested in watching this build as well. The resin is sticking the the outer area of the door panel cutout you made? Or are you planning to pop out that entire mold from inside the door panel. Not sure how you're going about this but I'm looking forward to how this plays out...

Yes resin is on the door panel. This isn't a removable pod. this pod will be affixed and blended into the door panel. When the door panel is removed, the pod is too. Kind of like just rebuilding/remodeling a section of the door panel.

That whole lower section(below seam in panel) will get re-finished to blend and match the protruding pod. It will become more clear when I start the next phases of it.

Gotcha. I was gonna say that entire lower half of the door is ripe for some fiberglassin' //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just to let you know that cavaliers need a lot of sound deadning. The dash design ***** you should definately take the dash apart and stuff every crevice to keep noise down.

Just to let you know that cavaliers need a lot of sound deadning. The dash design ***** you should definately take the dash apart and stuff every crevice to keep noise down.
Later down the road I will put some deadenng, but I'm not going overboard. This is just a work car and I will use it to experiment with technique.

Are you glassing to the plastic door panel itself ? Resin doesn't stick to plastic very well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Don't let the pods stick out too far, or they'll get in the way of the window cranks. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Are you glassing to the plastic door panel itself ? Resin doesn't stick to plastic very well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/imwithstupid.gif.ff72b14418b3c35ebdf1ccd38da21695.gif

I wasn't aware that it didn't stick. I roughed all the plastic up and it is attached to it on bith inside and outside. It appears to be sticking. Should I be woried then Ramos?

Them being glassed to the panels isn't the only thing that will hold them in place though. I will be screwing them to the door metal where the stock speaker plate was screwed. What would have been the best route then?

I am aware of the cranks and the position I will have the baffles should be good. I will keep an eye on it though. I hate manual windows //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif Good thing this is practice lol. I can always go to salvage yard for a set of panels. Shouldn't be too hard to find 97 cav panels lol.

Anywho I put another layer down on the back cavity.

mini-doorpods012.jpg

Then while it dried I went ahead and did the big 3 for this car. I believe I will need an alt down the road and I know I will be getting a yellow top. The alt is only an 80amp.

mini-doorpods007.jpg

mini-doorpods008.jpg

mini-doorpods009.jpg

mini-doorpods010.jpg

mini-doorpods011.jpg

Ideally you want to do "resin rivets". Drill holes throughout the door panel, put tape behind each hole and form a loose "pouch" and let the resin seep into the pouches and act as a rivet.

No way I'd be comfortable with fiberglass just laid over a door panel.

Ideally you want to do "resin rivets". Drill holes throughout the door panel, put tape behind each hole and form a loose "pouch" and let the resin seep into the pouches and act as a rivet.
No way I'd be comfortable with fiberglass just laid over a door panel.
Well I can still do this. Thanks for the tip. That should ber esy enough.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.