active xover

jellyfish420
10+ year member

i design boxes .......
STL ill side
well i finally did it. i'm using the active xover on my hu. right now i have the sub @ 50, mid 100>2.5k and high 4k all @ 24db/oct. it don't sound bad, but i def need to play w/ it. i know every install is different, but i was wondering...to all of you who are running an active setup, where is your xover points? so i can have an idea of at least where i should be starting, then tweek around w/ it. thanks.

well i finally did it. i'm using the active xover on my hu. right now i have the sub @ 50, mid 100>2.5k and high 4k all @ 24db/oct. it don't sound bad, but i def need to play w/ it. i know every install is different, but i was wondering...to all of you who are running an active setup, where is your xover points? so i can have an idea of at least where i should be starting, then tweek around w/ it. thanks.

what kind of hu are you using?

Sub: 63hz lowpass @12dB/oct

Mids: 80hz highpass @24 dB/oct, and 1.6kHz @12dB/oct

Tweets: 2khz Highpass @12dB/oct, -4dB down

I have my gain on my tweeter amp too far up, too lazy to readjust it... so I just use the attenuation on the HU. I've also had the Mids up to 2kHz @18dB/oct, while the Tweets picked up at 2.5kHz @12dB/oct.

I love active, been running it over 2.5 years, don't thing I'll ever go back.

nG

its better to xover the mid as low as you can go w/ the tweet, isn't it, like xover the tweet all the way down to 2k, if it'll go that low, so the mid doesn't have to play all that high?

index.cfm

its better to xover the mid as low as you can go w/ the tweet, isn't it, like xover the tweet all the way down to 2k, if it'll go that low, so the mid doesn't have to play all that high?
Actually you want your midrange to play the most frequencies possible. Of course it is going to depend on if your midrange can actually do that. I know Hybrid Audio makes a 3" driver that can play from 140-10000 and a 4" that can play from 100-17000 with the proper crossover. It is best to have the majority of what we hear come from 1 point source. I personally run my midbass from 40-140, midrange from 140-4k, and tweet from 4k up. The best thing about running active is that you can change crossover points and slopes easily to find what works best in your particular vehicle.

Actually you want your midrange to play the most frequencies possible. Of course it is going to depend on if your midrange can actually do that. I know Hybrid Audio makes a 3" driver that can play from 140-10000 and a 4" that can play from 100-17000 with the proper crossover. It is best to have the majority of what we hear come from 1 point source. I personally run my midbass from 40-140, midrange from 140-4k, and tweet from 4k up. The best thing about running active is that you can change crossover points and slopes easily to find what works best in your particular vehicle.
Yes and no. In a 3-way you have the luxury of running your midranges a bit higher. In a 2-way with a 7" driver not so much. The point where a 7" driver starts to beam, and off-axis response starts to degrade is much lower than a 4" or 3" midrange. A 7" driver will typically start to beam around 2k, so you definitely want your tweeter to start being able to take over by that point. That is, given the midbass is mounted in the doors. Mounted in kicks on-axis is a different story.

The argument about crossover points in the middle of the midrange frequencies is valid but moot when talking about a 2-way with a 6.5 or 7" mid. It's unavoidable at that point, and one of the reasons that an active crossover is highly desireable over a passive in that you can tune the system to where you can blend the mid and tweeter as well as can be expected, with a minimal of degradation at the crossover point.

So, you want your tweeter to take over as low as it can handle in a 2-way. Remember, with door mounted drivers, we're often talking about running a midbass at 60-80 degrees off-axis. That's asking a lot from any driver.

Here's a link. I've posted it on this site before, but I'm tired of trying to find it here as it got buried.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7107

So you've got the sub from we will just say 0-50hz, the mid from 100-2.5k and your tweets from 4k-20k at 24db/octave? What are you doing the frequencies between 50-100 and 2.5-4k? You are going to need to play around with your crossover points in your own vehicle. No one can tell you what will work best because not every vehicle and setup is the same. It is all going to be trial and error

Yes and no. In a 3-way you have the luxury of running your midranges a bit higher. In a 2-way with a 7" driver not so much. The point where a 7" driver starts to beam, and off-axis response starts to degrade is much lower than a 4" or 3" midrange. A 7" driver will typically start to beam around 2k, so you definitely want your tweeter to start being able to take over by that point. That is, given the midbass is mounted in the doors. Mounted in kicks on-axis is a different story.
The argument about crossover points in the middle of the midrange frequencies is valid but moot when talking about a 2-way with a 6.5 or 7" mid. It's unavoidable at that point, and one of the reasons that an active crossover is highly desireable over a passive in that you can tune the system to where you can blend the mid and tweeter as well as can be expected, with a minimal of degradation at the crossover point.

So, you want your tweeter to take over as low as it can handle in a 2-way. Remember, with door mounted drivers, we're often talking about running a midbass at 60-80 degrees off-axis. That's asking a lot from any driver.

Here's a link. I've posted it on this site before, but I'm tired of trying to find it here as it got buried.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7107
I didn't look at his sig and see he was using a 6.5" Personally I don't like running anything larger than a 5 1/4 to cover midrange frequencies in a car.

So you've got the sub from we will just say 0-50hz, the mid from 100-2.5k and your tweets from 4k-20k at 24db/octave? What are you doing the frequencies between 50-100 and 2.5-4k? You are going to need to play around with your crossover points in your own vehicle. No one can tell you what will work best because not every vehicle and setup is the same. It is all going to be trial and error
that is just where i started. i've got the sub at 63 @12db mid at 80 and 2k @ 24db, and the tweet 2.5k @ 24db. i've played around a little and i think it sounds pretty good there. thats where the sound surrounds you real good:) i would really like to get an RTA though...

RTA "might" help, but it's your ears you're trying to please, so use them as your guide.

Your current settings sound pretty right on as far as xovers. Not just spend some time tweaking EQ settings do dial it in.

I like to make a change or two and listen for a few days to see if I like it before making more changes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.